Veteran Events & Announcements 10/16 to 10/23
"MI Freedom Center at Metro Airport" Many of you know I volunteer at the Freedom Center (our version of a USO) at Metro (Delta terminal) once each week. Next month the center will celebrate its 3rd anniversary. To date the center has hosted over 106,000 (not a typo) veterans, active military, and their family members. They could use more support since they are hoping to open a second center at the North Terminal that serves all other airlines at Metro. If your group can help contact John or Diane at 810-545-8343 or vial email. We are currently missing 25% of the troops passing thru Metro since there is nothing at the North terminal so your help is important!
"Saturday, November 8, 2014 (SAVE THE DATE)" The annual Detroit Veterans Day Parade will march down Woodward! To join the parade, sponsor, or just more information, see their website or the new flyer.
"Thursday, October 16, 2014" The University of Detroit-Mercy School of Law is offering a free legal clinic at SS Peter & Paul Church, 438 St Antoine, Detroit, from 9 to 11AM. Today's help will focus on Driver's License Restoration. To register call Alesa at the Law School at 313-596-0258. See flyer for other upcoming clinics.
"Sunday, October 19, 2014" The Michigan Military Technical & Historical Society presents "Michigan Launches an Air Force," a presentation by Dan Heaton on the history of Selfridge during WWI. Starts at 2PM with admission by donation at the museum located at 16600 Stephens, Eastpointe. See flyer for more information.
"Tuesday, October 21, 2014" The Legal Aid & Defender Association, along with Southfield Human Services, is hosting an Expungment Clinic at the Southfield Library Auditorium, from Noon till 2PM, 26300 Evergreen, Southfield. Pre-registration is required by calling 248-796-4542. Information on how to remove items from your criminal records! See flyer for more info.
"Saturday, October 25, 2014" The MI State Council of Epsilon Sigma Alpha is holding its annual Hope for Heroes Halloween Party at the Howell American Legion Post 141, 3265 W Grand River, Howell, from 11AM till 2PM. All military families are free and they are asking for a $1 donation to help the Wounded Warrior Project. For complete info see attached flyer.
"Sunday, October 26, 2014 (NEW)" Dearborn American Legion Post 364 is hosting a Commander's Breakfast starting at 9:30AM. Come have breakfast and watch the Lions vs Atlanta game from London. All donations to help homeless vets. The post is located at 3001 S Telegraph, Dearborn. See flyer for more information.
"Sunday, October 26, 2014 (NEW)" The Michigan Military Technical & Historical Society will present "Flying the A-10 in the 91 Gulf War" starting at 2PM. Admission by donation at the museum, 16600 Stephens, Eastpoint. See flyer for complete information.
"Wednesday, October 29, 2014 (UPDATED)" VetBizCentral is hosting the 9th annual veterans conference at the Crowne Plaza Hotel, 5700 E 28th St SE, Grand Rapids, from 9AM to 4PM. Meet execs from numerous companies around Michigan to learn how veteran own businesses are doing and how you can improve yours. Tickets are $35 if ordered before 10/1. See the new flyer for complete information.And from our friends at the VFW:
- October 16th, Thursday 6:15 p.m. – VFW 4156 White Lake – "BINGO". VFW 4156 is located at 321 Union Lake Road in White Lake 48386. Phone 248-698-8302.
- October 16th, Thursday 6:00 p.m. – Old Settlers VFW 4659 Shelby Twp. – "EUCHRE". Doors open at 6:00 p.m. Play starts at 7:00 p.m. Hamburgers, Hot Dogs, Coney Dogs, French Fries and Chili available. Post 4659 is located at 8311 Wilson in Shelby Twp. 48316. Phone (586) 781-9109.
- October 17th-19th, Friday through Sunday – "BIG TEN CONFERENCE in INDIANAPOLIS, INDIANA.
- October 17th, Friday 9:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m. – Acorn Post 1669 Royal Oak – "GRANDPA COUGH MEDICINE BAND". Special Entertainment! Post 1669 is located at 214 E. Fourth Street in Downtown Royal Oak 48067. Phone (248) 541-9846.
- October 17th, Friday - VFW 2645 Southfield - 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. "FRIDAY FISH FRY". COD Fish Dinner $8, CATFISH or PERCH Dinner $7.50, CHICKEN FINGER Dinner $7.50, JUMBO SHRIMP Dinner $9, WING DINGS & FRIES $7, COMBO Dinners $9.50, SANDWICHES $5, POUND CAKE per slice $1.50. Sides include French-Fries, Cole Slaw, Spaghetti, and Macaroni & Cheese. Extra Sides $1.50. Extra Fish $2.50. Dine In or Take Out. Call Ahead for Quicker Service (248) 350-3529. Come out, bring your Friends, and Enjoy a Great Meal. OPEN TO THE PUBLIC! Parking in rear of Post. Post 2645 is located at 24222 W. 9 Mile Road, just West of Telegraph in Southfield.
- October 17th, Friday 3:00 p.m. to Midnight – VFW 9507 Madison Heights – "Burger & Fries for $5.50". Karaoke from 9 p.m. to Midnight. $.75 for 12 oz. Draft Beer. $1.75 for 22 oz. Draft Beer. VFW 9507 is located at 630 E. 11 Mile Road in Madison Heights 48071. Phone (248) 543-2557.
- October 17th, Friday 5:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. – VFW 1370 Pontiac – "Burger's- $4 w/ fries $5, Devil Dog- $3 w/ fries $4; bacon wrapped "Koegel" hot dog, beans, fresco cheese, and all the fixings including devil sauce, VFW 1370 is located at 791 Mae Court in Pontiac 48340. Phone (248) 858-9501.
- October 19th, Sunday 6:15 p.m. – VFW 4156 White Lake – "BINGO". VFW 4156 is located at 321 Union Lake Road in White Lake 48386. Phone 248-698-8302.
-- Tim Wirkus Volunteer Southfield Veterans' Commission firstname.lastname@example.org www.southfieldvets.org