Veteran Events & Announcements 9/25 to 10/2
You can get a monthly view of events by going to:
"Golf, Golf, & more Golf" The golf outing are starting to fade away, so here are the few that are left. To help you duffers pick the ones you like I am listing them here. Date, group hosting & where the golf takes place:
- "Saturday, September 27, 2014" Women Supporting Women Veterans in Hartland. Flyer.
- "Sunday, September 28, 2014" Wayne County VCAT in Redford. Flyer.
"Veterans' Day Parade in Detroit" This parade, on November 8th downtown, has grown every year since it started. The committee is looking for more veterans, groups, etc., to march this year. For total information on this years parade and how to get involved, see their official website or attached flyer. Let's all make this parade the best ever!
"Friday, September 26, 2014" University of Detroit-Mercy School of Law (Project Salute), the VA Hospital, & the Macomb Community College, are hosting a Veterans Stand Down at the Macomb Sports & Expo Center, 14500 E 12 Mile, Warren, from 9AM ti 2PM. Numerous support services will be available for veterans, and will include lunch. For more info see attached flyer.
"Friday thru Monday, September 26 thru 29, 2014 " Tails-a-Waggin' Acres is hosting its 9th annual disabled veterans Free Pheasant Hunt. For more information & reservations call Chuck at 231-743-6483 or see flyer.
"Saturday, September 27, 2014" The Women Supporting Women Veterans & Stiggy's Dogs are having a Wild Game Dinner & Golf Scramble at the Hartland Glen Golf Club, 12400 Highland Rd, Hartland, with a 9AM signin and 10AM shotgun start. Cost is $75 per person which includes the dinner. Or you can just do the dinner that starts at 3PM for $25 per person. Call 810-229-4212 for more info or see flyer.
"Saturday & Sunday, September 27 & 28, 2014" The Michigan Military Technical & Historical Society will be having a used book and media sale to help complete the museum. Saturday from 10 till 5, Sunday Noon till 5. Sale will be at 16600 Stephens Rd, Eastpointe. See flyer for more information.
"Sunday, September 28, 2014" VFW District 5 is hosting a Gold Star Mothers Banquet at VFW Post 6756, 25500 Sherwood, Warren, from 1PM to 5. Donation is $15 per person. Must reserve a spot by September 22nd. For more information call Ken at 586-260-4200 or see flyer.
"Sunday, September 28, 2014" Real Estate Donations, which helps get veterans into affordable housing, is hosting its first Golf Outing to support the Wayne County Veterans Community Action Team, at Glenhurst Golf Course, 25345 Six Mile, Redford, with a 1PM shotgun start. Cost is $80 per person. For more info call Bob at 248-568-2448 or see flyer.
"Wednesday, October 1, 2014" The Yankee Air Museum, at their monthly public meeting, is having WWII fighter ACE Steve Pisanos, the Flying Greek, starting at 7:30PM at Hangar 1 at Willow Run Airport. Admission is free but seating is limited. Go here for seating!
"Thursday, October 2, 2014" The University of Michigan Hospital, Buddy-2-Buddy program, is hosting a 10 week program titled Strong Military Familes. This program is designed to help meet the challenges of parenting during and after deployment. $90 offered for completion of the course & evaluation. There are 2 programs, one in Warren & one in Jackson. For more information call 734-998-0089, or email them at email@example.com.And from our friends at the VFW:
- September 25th, Thursday 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. – VFW 2645 Southfield – "THURSDAY CAR CRUISES". Food, Fun and Music. 50/50 Raffles. Featuring a Little Bit of Classic Cars. For more information, contact J. Sutton at (313) 207-6689. Post 2645 is located 24222 W. 9 Mile Road in Southfield. Just West of Telegraph Road.
- September 25th, Thursday 6:15 p.m. – VFW 4156 White Lake – "BINGO". VFW 4156 is located at 321 Union Lake Road in White Lake 48386. Phone 248-698-8302.
- September 25th, Thursday 6:00 p.m. – Old Settlers VFW 4659 Shelby Twp. – "EUCHRE". Doors open at 6:00 p.m. Play starts at 7:00 p.m. Hamburgers, Hot Dogs, Coney Dogs, French Fries and Chili available. Post 4659 is located at 8311 Wilson in Shelby Twp. 48316. Phone (586) 781-9109.9. September 26th, Friday 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. – VFW 1669 Royal Oak – "BURGER & FRIES for $5.50". Happy Hour from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. OPEN TO THE PUBLIC! Tell your Family & Friends. Post 1669 is located at 214 E. 4th Street in Downtown Royal Oak, just 2 blocks East of Main Street. Phone (248) 541-9846.
- September 26th, Friday 3:00 p.m. to Midnight – VFW 9507 Madison Heights – "Burger & Fries for $5.50". Karaoke from 9 p.m. to Midnight. $.75 for 12 oz. Draft Beer. $1.75 for 22 oz. Draft Beer. VFW 9507 is located at 630 E. 11 Mile Road in Madison Heights 48071. Phone (248) 543-2557.
- September 26th, Friday 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. – VFW 2645 Southfield. "FRIDAY NIGHT FISH FRY". COD Fish Dinner for $8, CATFISH or PERCH Dinner for $7.50, CHICKEN FINGER Dinner for $7.50, JUMBO SHRIMP Dinner for $9, WING DINGS & FRIES for $7, COMBO Dinners for $9.50, SANDWICHES for $5 and POUND CAKE per slice at $1.50. Sides include French-Fries, Cole Slaw, Spaghetti, and Macaroni & Cheese. Extra Sides $1.50. Extra Fish $2.50. Beverage is available. Dine In or Take Out. Call Ahead for Quicker Service at (248) 350-3529. Come out, bring your Friends, and Enjoy a Great Meal. OPEN TO THE PUBLIC! Parking in rear of Post. Post 2645 is located at 24222 W. 9 Mile Road, just West of Telegraph in Southfield.
- September 26th, Friday 5:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. – VFW 1370 Pontiac – "Burger's- $4 w/ fries $5, Devil Dog- $3 w/ fries $4; bacon wrapped "Koegel" hot dog, beans, fresco cheese, and all the fixings including devil sauce, VFW 1370 is located at 791 Mae Court in Pontiac 48340. Phone (248) 858-9501.
- September 28th, Sunday 6:15 p.m. – VFW 4156 White Lake – "BINGO". VFW 4156 is located at 321 Union Lake Road in White Lake 48386. Phone 248-698-8302.
-- Tim Wirkus Volunteer Southfield Veterans' Commission firstname.lastname@example.org www.southfieldvets.org