Veteran Events & Announcements 9/11 to 9/18
You can get a monthly view of events by going to:
"Golf, Golf, & more Golf" It's that time of year when everyone is hosting a golf outing. To help you duffers pick the ones you like I am listing them here. Date, group hosting & where the golf takes place:
- "Thursday, September 11, 2014" Fallen & Wounded Soldiers Fund in South Lyon. Flyer.
- "Saturday, September 13, 2014 (CANCELED)" MI DAV in Casco Twp. Flyer.
- "Saturday, September 13, 2014 (NEW)" Richmond VFW in Riley. Flyer.
- "Sunday, September 14, 2014" Macomb Homeless Coalition in Macomb. Flyer.
- "Saturday, September 20, 2014" Pontiac VFW in Oakland Charter Twp. Flyer.
- "Saturday, September 27, 2014" Women Supporting Women Veterans in Hartland. Flyer.
- "Sunday, September 28, 2014" Wayne County VCAT in Redford. Flyer.
"Disaster Relief Assistance" Many veterans suffered with the recent flooding. Help may be coming from FEMA, but right now most are on their own. The Disabled American Veterans is offering $500 to qualified disabled vets. For more info contact the DAV at 313-964-6595. Other veterans may qualify for assistance from the Michigan Veterans Trust Fund which can provide grants up to $1500. See their website for more information or call them at 517-284-5299.
"Korean War Peace Medal" The Korean government is issuing to all veterans that served in the Korean War, both on land and sea, a peace medal. You must have served between 6/25/50 and 7/27/53. See attached for complete information and forms.
"Thursday, September 11, 2014" We are holding a ground breaking ceremony for the 1/24 Memorial at 1730hrs. The ceremony will take place behind the Chesterfielf Twp. Municipal Offices on Sugarbush Rd. off 21 Mile. Directions to the site can be found on our website www.1-24memorial.com . Please try and get the word out to all the veteran orgs. of this important event. The Memorial is being built to honor the 22 Marines from the 1/24 who were KIA in Iraq during their deployment back in 2006-2007.
"Thursday, September 11, 2014" The Fallen & Wounded Soldiers Fund is holding the 9/11 Day of Remembrance golf outing at the Moose Ridge Golf Course, 11801 Doane Rd, S Lyon. See flyer for complete information.
"Thursday, September 11, 2014 (UPDATE)" The Piquette Square Honor Guard will hold a Veterans Garden Dedication & Patriot Day observance starting at 3PM at Piquette Square, 6221 Brush, at Piquette. Everyone is invited to attend. A 9/11 ceremony will also take place. For complete info see flyer.
"Saturday, September 13, 2014" American Legion Riders, Post 396, is hosting its annual Poker Run for Operation Homefront, starting at 10AM, at their post at 200 Log Cabin, Garden City. Cost is $20. For more information call Jerry at 248-565-6866 or see flyer.
"Saturday, September 13, 2014" Richmond VFW Post is hosting a Golf Outing at the Belle River Golf Course, 12564 Belle River Rd, Riley, with 9AM registration and 10AM shotgun start. Cost is $80 per player and includes many items. For complete information contact the post at 586-727-1436 of see flyer.
"Saturday, September 13, 2014 (NEW)" Camp Liberty is having their annual Open House from 10:30AM till 4:30PM. Take a tour of the camp, learn how outdoor recreation helps injured veterans, etc. For more about the camp see flyer. For directions to the site see their website.
"Saturday, September 13, 2014 (NEW)" Operation Yellow Ribbon is hosting its 3rd Annual All American Picnic to support returning veterans. The picnic will be held at the DAV Hall, 47326 Dequindre Rd, Shelby Twp, from 11AM till 4PM. Cost is $25. For complete details see flyer.
"Sunday, September 14, 2014 (NEW)" The 5th Annual Patriot Festival, celebrating the 200th Anniversary of the Star Spangled Banner, will be held at Bowers Farm, 1219 Square Lake Rd, Bloomfield Hills, starting at 1PM, till 5PM. Free admission & activities. Pony rides, wagon rides, etc. For complete information see flyer.
"Sunday, September 14, 2014" The Macomb Homeless Coalition is hosting its 4th annual Golf Outing at Bello Woods Golf Course, 23650 23 Mile, Macomb, with a 7:30 check in. Cost is $100 per golfer and includes the cart, etc . For more information see attached flyer.
"Tuesday, September 16, 2014" The Tri-County Veterans & the American Red Cross are hosting a reconnect workshop & seminar for all military members and their families.. This seminar is free, at Redford Twp Library, 25320 Six Mile, Redford, from 6:30 to 8PM. For more information see attached flyer.
"Wednesday, September 17, 2014" The Detroit VA Medical Center & Wayne State School of Medicine are hosting The Power of One, a seminar on Suicide Prevention. Guess speaker is retired Sgt Douglas Szczepanski who was injured in Iraq. This will take place at the John Dingell VA Hospital, 4646 John R, Detroit, Lower Level Auditorium, from 11:30AM to 1PM. For more info call 313-576-1000, ext 63345, or see flyer.
"Thursday, September 18, 2014" American Indian Veterans of Michigan is hosting a Steak Dinner Fundraiser at their HQ from 5 till 10PM, 26641 Lawrence, Center Line. Admission is $15 and includes steak, potato, salad, etc. Call Chris at 248-210-6153 or see flyer for more information.And from our friends at the VFW:
- September 11th, Thursday 11:00 a.m. – VFW 2645 Southfield – "PATRIOT'S DAY CEREMONY". Everyone is invited to attend the Patriot's Day Ceremony. Post 2645 is located at 24222 W. 9 Mile Road in Southfield. Just West of Telegraph Road.
- September 11th, Thursday 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. – VFW 2645 Southfield – "THURSDAY CAR CRUISES". Food, Fun and Music. 50/50 Raffles. Featuring a Little Bit of Classic Cars. For more information, contact J. Sutton at (313) 207-6689. Post 2645 is located 24222 W. 9 Mile Road in Southfield. Just West of Telegraph Road.
- September 11th, Thursday 6:00 p.m. – Old Settlers VFW 4659 Shelby Twp. – "EUCHRE". Doors open at 6:00 p.m. Play starts at 7:00 p.m. Hamburgers, Hot Dogs, Coney Dogs, French Fries and Chili available. Post 4659 is located at 8311 Wilson in Shelby Twp. 48316. Phone (586) 781-9109.
- September 11th, Thursday 6:15 p.m. – VFW 4156 White Lake – "BINGO". OPEN TO THE PUBLIC! VFW 4156 is located at 321 Union Lake Road in White Lake 48386. Phone 248-698-8302.
- September 12th, 4:00 p.m. – "1st DAY OF YOUTH CAMPOUT at Multi Lakes Conservation Club in Commerce Township. ALL Teams show up! There is also a Fish Fry or Chicken Dinner going on at the Multi Lakes Conservation Club, so you can have dinner also. Please stop by and say "Hi" to ALL the VFW Members, who volunteered and also the Youth Campers attending. Post Members, who volunteer, your Post will receive Credit on their Activities Reporting. Multi Lake Conservation Club is located at 3860 Newton Road in Commerce 48390.
- September 12th, Friday - VFW 2645 Southfield - 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. "FRIDAY FISH FRY". COD Fish Dinner $8, CATFISH or PERCH Dinner $7.50, CHICKEN FINGER Dinner $7.50, JUMBO SHRIMP Dinner $9, WING DINGS & FRIES $7, COMBO Dinners $9.50, SANDWICHES $5, POUND CAKE per slice $1.50. Sides include French-Fries, Cole Slaw, Spaghetti, and Macaroni & Cheese. Extra Sides $1.50. Extra Fish $2.50. Dine In or Take Out. Call Ahead for Quicker Service (248) 350-3529. Come out, bring your Friends, and Enjoy a Great Meal. OPEN TO THE PUBLIC! Parking in rear of Post. Post 2645 is located at 24222 W. 9 Mile Road, just West of Telegraph in Southfield.
- September 12th, Friday 3:00 p.m. to Midnight – VFW 9507 Madison Heights – "Burger & Fries for $5.50". Karaoke from 9 p.m. to Midnight. $.75 for 12 oz. Draft Beer. $1.75 for 22 oz. Draft Beer. VFW 9507 is located at 630 E. 11 Mile Road in Madison Heights 48071. Phone (248) 543-2557.
- September 12th, Friday 5:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. – VFW 1370 Pontiac – "Burger's- $4 w/ fries $5, Devil Dog- $3 w/ fries $4; bacon wrapped "Koegel" hot dog, beans, fresco cheese, and all the fixings including devil sauce, VFW 1370 1st Annual Boot camp Burrito Challenge." VFW 1370 is located at 791 Mae Court in Pontiac 48340. Phone (248) 858-9501.14. September 12th, Friday 8:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. – VFW 1146 St. Clair Shores – "KARAOKE IN THE CLUBROOM". No Cover Charge! Bruce Post 1146 is located at 28404 Jefferson (N. of 11 Mile Road) in St. Clair Shores.
- September 12th, Friday 9:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m. – VFW 9507 Madison Heights. KARAOKE IN THE CLUBROOM!" No Cover Charge! VFW 9507 Madison Heights is located at 630 E. 11 Mile Road in Madison Heights 48071.
September 14th, Sunday 6:15 p.m. – VFW 4156 White Lake – "BINGO". OPEN TO THE PUBLIC! VFW 4156 is located at 321 Union Lake Road in White Lake 48386. Phone 248-698-8302.
-- Tim Wirkus Volunteer Southfield Veterans' Commission email@example.com www.southfieldvets.org