Veteran Events & Announcements 5/15 to 5/22
You can get a monthly view of events by going to:
"Golf, Golf, & more Golf" It's that time of year when everyone is hosting a golf outing. To help you duffers pick the ones you like I am listing them here. Date, group hosting & where the golf takes place:
- "Friday, May 16, 2014" Operation Injured Soldiers in Novi. Flyer.
- "Sunday, May 18, 2014" Dearbrn Legion in Dearborn. Flyer
- "Sunday, May 18, 2014" Richmond VFW in Ray Twp. Flyer
- "Wednesday, June 4, 2014" State VFW in Grand Blanc. Flyer
- "Saturday, June 28, 2014 (NEW)" Chief Petty Officer Association at Selfridge. Flyer
- "Saturday, August 2, 2014" Great Lakes National Cemetery in Lepeer. Flyer
- "Friday, August 8, 2014" Marine Corps League at Selfridge. Flyer
- "Saturday, August 16, 2014" Garden City AM Legion in Dearborn Hgts. Flyer
- "Sunday, August 17, 2014" MI Women Marine Association at Selfridge. Flyer
"Wounded Warrior Veteran Ice Hockey" Joshua Krajewski is looking to start a Wounded Warrior Vet Ice Hockey League here in the Metro Detroit area, similar to one in Maryland. For complete information visit their website.
"Thursday, May 15, 2014 " Livonia American Legion Post 32, 9318 Newburgh Rd, Livonia, will be hosting a car show at 5PM with dinners, music, door prizes, etc, every Thursday in May. Call 734-427-5630 of see flyer for more info.
"Friday, May 16, 2014" Operation Injured Soldiers is holding their 5th annual Injured Soldiers Golf Outing at the Links of Novi, 50395 Ten Mile, Novi, with a 9:30AM shotgun start. Dinner at 4PM. For complete information see attached flyer.
"Friday, May 16, 2014" The Oakland County Women's Advisory Board is hosting Operation Success for Women Veterans, for networking, resources & Support. This is a free event at the Oakland Community College, Auburn Hills, from 11AM till 3PM, Building G Student Center. Registration is required by calling 248-853-7862. See flyer for more details.
"Friday & Saturday, May 16 & 17, 2014" Tight Lines for Troops is hosting a charity fishing tournament for Michigan veterans at Seng's Marina, 47 Lake St, Manistee. Everyone is invited, but veterans pay nothing. See attached flyer for complete information on this event.
"Saturday, May 17, 2014" The Women Marines Association of MI & Romeo Masonic Temple invite all to their packing party to send packages to our troops overseas. Event is held in Romeo at 231 N Main from 10AM ti 2:30PM. See attached flyer for items of need and more information.
"Saturday, May 17, 2014" The Wolverine Chapter #67, Women's Army Corps Veteran Association, will be holding their 72nd annual anniversary luncheon at the Karas House, 23632 Plymouth Rd, Redford, from Noon to 4PM. Guest speaker will be the Honorable David Nathan, State Rep District 8, of the State Veterans Affairs Committee. Donation of $30. For reservations and more information see attached flyer.
"Saturday, May 17, 2014" The Royal Oak VFW Post 1669 is hosting an Armed Forces Day salute featuring the Legends Live, starting with a steak dinner at 5PM, show at 7:30. See Gene Pitney, Buddy Holly, etc. Tickets are $25 with a cash bar. Call Dan at 248-613-6831 for tickets or see flyer for more information.
"Saturday, May 17, 2014" Macomb County Team Selfridge is hosting a Career Fair at the Joint Dining Facility, 43156 Wagner, Selfridge, from 2 to 6PM. This event is open to all military & spouses, veterans, reserve members, etc. See flyer for complete information.
"Saturday, May 17, 2014" A Veterans & Family Fishing Derby will be held at Stoney Creek Metropark Winter Cove. Registration begins at 8:30 AM Opening Ceremony is at 9:00 AM. This is a free event. See flyer for more information.
"Sunday, May 18, 2014" The Birmingham Hometown Parade Committee will host a kick-off for summer events with a Hometown Parade starting at 1PM in downtown Birmingham. Veteran group participants are asked to attend with a special hospitality tent and reserved parking. See their website for specifics or attached flyer.
"Sunday, May 18, 2014" American Legion Dearborn Post 364 is hosting the 11th annual Bobby V golf outing to benefit Dearborn American Legion Baseball, at the Dearborn Hills Golf Course, 1300 S Telegraph, Dearborn. Registration at 9AM with a shotgun start at 10, dinner at 3 at the Legion Hall. Cost is $75 per person/$300 per foursome. See flyer for registration and more info.
"Sunday, May 18, 2014"The Richmond VFW Post 6802 is hosting its first annual Armed Forces Day Golf Outing at the Timberwood Golf Course, 23700 31 Mile, Ray Township, with a Noon shotgun start. Cost is $60 per golfer which includes 18 holes of golf, food, 50/50 raffle, steak dinner. See flyer for complete information.
"Tuesday, May 20, 2014"Southfield VFW Post 2645 is hosting a Casino Trip to Firekeepers Casino. Leave the post at 24222 W 9 Mile at 9AM, return at 7PM. Cost is $40 per person which includes $20 freeplay, juice & sweet rolls on the bus. For more info contact Donna at 248-357-5151 or see attached flyer.And from our friends at the VFW:
- May 15th, Thursday 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. – VFW 2645 Southfield – "THURSDAY CAR CRUISES". Food, Fun and Music. 50/50 Raffles. Featuring a Little Bit of Classic Cars. For more information, contact J. Sutton at (313) 207-6689. Post 2645 is located 24222 W. 9 Mile Road in Southfield. Just West of Telegraph Road.
- May 15th, Thursday 6:00 p.m. – Old Settlers VFW 4659 Shelby Twp. – "EUCHRE". Doors open at 6:00 p.m. Play starts at 7:00 p.m. Hamburgers, Hot Dogs, Coney Dogs, French Fries and Chili available. Post 4659 is located at 8311 Wilson in Shelby Twp. 48316. Phone (586) 781-9109.
- May 15th, Thursday 6:15 p.m. – VFW 4156 White Lake – "BINGO". OPEN TO THE PUBLIC! VFW 4156 is located at 321 Union Lake Road in White Lake 48386. Phone 248-698-8302.
- May 16th, Friday 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. – VFW 7573 New Baltimore – "STEAK OUT". Grill a delicious New York Strip Steak "or" Chicken Breast, Baked Potato, Baked Beans, Salad, Rolls and Dessert for Just $12. Post 7573 is located at 35011 23 Mile Road in New Baltimore. Phone (586) 725-7100.
- May 16th, Friday - VFW 2645 Southfield - 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. "FRIDAY FISH FRY". COD Fish Dinner $8, CATFISH or PERCH Dinner $7.50, CHICKEN FINGER Dinner $7.50, JUMBO SHRIMP Dinner $9, WING DINGS & FRIES $7, COMBO Dinners $9.50, SANDWICHES $5, POUND CAKE per slice $1.50. Sides include French-Fries, Cole Slaw, Spaghetti, and Macaroni & Cheese. Extra Sides $1.50. Extra Fish $2.50. Dine In or Take Out. Call Ahead for Quicker Service (248) 350-3529. Come out, bring your Friends, and Enjoy a Great Meal. OPEN TO THE PUBLIC! Parking in rear of Post. Post 2645 is located at 24222 W. 9 Mile Road, just West of Telegraph in Southfield.
- May 16th, Friday 3:00 p.m. to Midnight – VFW 9507 Madison Heights – "Burger & Fries for $5.50". Karaoke from 9 p.m. to Midnight. $.75 for 12 oz. Draft Beer. $1.75 for 22 oz. Draft Beer. VFW 9507 is located at 630 E. 11 Mile Road in Madison Heights 48071. Phone (248) 543-2557.
- May 16th, Friday 5:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. – VFW 1370 Pontiac – "Burger's- $4 w/ fries $5, Devil Dog- $3 w/ fries $4; bacon wrapped "Koegel" hot dog, beans, fresco cheese, and all the fixings including devil sauce, VFW 1370 1st Annual Boot camp Burrito Challenge." VFW 1370 is located at 791 Mae Court in Pontiac 48340. Phone (248) 858-9501.15. May 16th, Friday 8:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. – VFW 1146 St. Clair Shores – "KARAOKE IN THE CLUBROOM". No Cover Charge! Bruce Post 1146 is located at 28404 Jefferson (N. or 11 Mile Road) in St. Clair Shores.
- May 16th, Friday 9:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m. – VFW 9507 Madison Heights. KARAOKE IN THE CLUBROOM!" No Cover Charge! VFW 9507 Madison Heights is located at 630 E. 11 Mile Road in Madison Heights 48071.
- May 18th, Sunday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. – Bruce Post 1146 St. Clair Shores – "4TH ANNUAL HOT RODS & HOT CAKES". All You Can Eat Hot Cakes, Sausage, Bacon, Orange Juice & Coffee. Breakfast Fundraiser for $7. Children 6 & Under $4. Bruce Post 1146 is located at 28404 Jefferson Avenue in St. Clair Shores. Just North of 11 Mile Road.
- May 18th, Sunday 6:15 p.m. – VFW 4156 White Lake – "BINGO". OPEN TO THE PUBLIC! VFW 4156 is located at 321 Union Lake Road in White Lake 48386. Phone 248-698-8302.
-- Tim Wirkus Volunteer Southfield Veterans' Commission firstname.lastname@example.org www.southfieldvets.org