Tuesday, August 18, 2015
Thursday, August 6, 2015
You can get a monthly view of events by going to:
You can also find many other veteran events & information for Veterans on the State of MI Veterans website & Detroit Public Televisions' new Veterans website:
"Metro Airport Freedom Center Needs Volunteers" Freedom Center military lounge at Detroit Metro Airport is looking for 50 - 75 new volunteers. The new volunteers will primarily staff the Freedom Center facility that will be opening at the North Terminal before the end of the year, however we also still need a few volunteers to work at the flagship Freedom Center at the McNamara Terminal. Volunteer duties include (but are not limited to), greeting guests, general light cleaning, stocking of snacks and beverages, logging donations, and assisting guests with questions and needs. Please visit our website at www.mifreedomcenter.org to find out more about volunteering at the Freedom Center, and to download an application.
"Royal Oak Arts, Beats, & Eats" Once again veterans are invited to free admission to this event but also to a Vet concert on Labor Day, 9/7. You must order your FREE tickets on-line which you can print out. Limit is 4 tickets per vet. To get your free tickets visit the official website.
"Wednesday, August 5, 2015" Our Savior Lutheran Church, 1501 N Saginaw Rd, Midland, is hosting its 5th annual Summer Charity Cruise In from 5 till 9PM. All proceeds will go to the Fallen & Wounded Soldiers Fund. Suggested entry is $4. For more info call 989-832-3667 or see flyer.
"Wednesday, August 5, 2015" The Yankee Air Museum is hosting another in their free series on WWII. This month the topic is how Detroit became the Arsenal of Democracy, by Gregory Summer. This is a free event at Willow Run in the General Purpose Room of the Museum, starting at 7:30PM.
"Friday, August 7, 2015" Gurdian Angels Medical Service Dogs is having a BBQ fundraiser to help veterans obtain medical service dogs. The event will take place at Barrister Gardens, 24225 Harper, St Clair Shores, from 5 till 10PM. Tickets are $35 in advance on-line. Pig roast, beer/wine, entertainment, silent auction, and more. Call 248-268-3167 for more information.
"Friday, August 7, 2015 (NEW)" Utica American Legion is hosting an all you can eat Spaghetti Benefit Dinner from 4 till 7:30PM at 46146 Cass Ave, Utica. Cost is just $7 per person. For more info see flyer.
"Saturday, August 8, 2015" The Detroit Area Marines Foundation is hosting a 5K/10K run at Historic Fort Wayne (Detroit) starting at 8AM. Run thru military history with local Marines. Each runner shirt. For more info visit their website or see flyer.
"Saturday, August 8, 2015" The Ladies Aux of White Lake VFW Post 4156 is hosting a USO Theme Dance from 6PM till Midnight at their post, 321 Union Lake Rd, White Lake. Advance tickets ar $20. For more info call 248-770-0083 or see flyer.
"Saturday, August 8, 2015" The Fallen & Wounded Soldiers Fund is hosting charity softball games played during Milford Memories at Central Park in Milford. Raffles, etc., along with softball. For more info call Tim at 248-497-5670 or see flyer.
"Tuesday, August 11, 2015" Detroit Goodwill Industries is hosting a Good Jobs Career Fair & workshops at their location, 3111 Grand River, Detroit, from 9AM till 1PM. For complete info call 313-557-8607 or see flyer.
"Thursday to Sunday, August 13 to 16, 2015 " The Yankee Air Museum is hosting a raffle to take you and your friends up in a WWII B-17 bomber, along with other prizes. For more info see flyer. For tickets visit there website.
"Saturday, August 15, 2015" ITC Bloomfield Station is hosting a Veteran private party for the Dream Cruise, 10AM till 7PM, at 44800 S Woodward, Pontiac. Adults $15 prepaid, $20 at door. For complete information on tickets, what you can/cannot bring, see flyer. All proceeds go to Camp Liberty, which works with veterans with TBI & PTSD.
"Saturday, August 15, 2015" The Daughters of the American Revolution, Piety Hill Chapter, is hosting a free seating for all veterans at the Dream Cruise at Woodward Camera, 4 blocks N of 14 mile, Birmingham, from 9AM till 8PM. For more info call Barbara at 248-642-8514 or see flyer.
"Sunday, August 16, 2015 (NEW)" Today is the 70th anniversary of the end of WWII with Japan. The Great Lakes National Cemetery is holding a commemoration starting at 10AM at the cemetery, 4200 E Belford Rd, Holly. This is free and open to the public. For more info call 866-348-8603 or see flyer.
"Sunday, August 16, 2015 (NEW)" Today is the 70th anniversary of the end of WWII with Japan. The Michigan WWII Legacy Memorial will host a celebration of this at Royal Oak's Memorial Park, Woodward just north of 13 Mile, from 1 till 4PM. This is a free event with music, flyovers, food trucks, etc. For more info see their official website.
"Saturday, August 15, 2015" Southfield VFW Post 2645 is hosting a Steak Out from 5 till 8PM at their post, located at 24222 W 9 Mile, in Southfield. Steak, baked potato, salad, rolls, desert for $12 per person. For more info see flyer.And from our friends at the VFW:
- August 7th, Friday 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. – Bruce Post 1146 St. Clair Shores – "CRUISING at the BRUCE". Food & Beverage available. Post 1146 is located at 28404 Jefferson (N. of 11 Mile Road) in St. Clair Shores.
- August 7th, Friday 5:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. – VFW 1370 Pontiac – "Burger's- $4 w/ fries $5, Devil Dog- $3 w/ fries $4; bacon wrapped "Koegel" hot dog, beans, fresco cheese, and all the fixings including devil sauce, VFW 1370 is located at 791 Mae Court in Pontiac 48340. Phone (248) 858-9501.
- August 8th, Saturday 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. – VFW 7573 New Baltimore – "MOM to MOM SALE". All proceeds go to Veterans Programs. $10 per table. $1.00 entry fee-strollers allowed. Vendors Wanted. Face Painting. VFW 7573 is located at 35011 23 Mile Road in New Baltimore 48047.
- August 8th, Saturday 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. – VFW 7573 New Baltimore – "ALL YOU CAN SPAGHETTI DINNER for $6". VFW 7573 is located at 35011 23 Mile Road in New Baltimore 48047.
- August 8TH, Saturday – "7th ANNUAL GREAT LAKES NATIONAL CEMETERY GOLF OUTING". $10,000.00 Hole in One Contest! Closest to the Pin & Longest Drive (men & women). Complimentary Continental Breakfast of Coffee & Donuts. Includes 18 holes of golf with cart, hot dog & chips & a pop at the turn, and a New York Strip Steak Dinner, beverages and a drawing at the conclusion of the outing. $75 per person or $300 per team. Lapeer Country Club located at 3786 Hunt Road in Lapeer, MI 48446. Phone 1-818-664-2442.
- August 10th, Monday - "ACIVITIES & HOSPITAL REPORTS DUE AT DEPARTMENT OF MICHIGAN V.F.W. in LANSING "either" ELECTRONICALLY or by U.S. MAIL".
- August 10th, Monday 7:30 p.m. – "OAKLAND COUNTY COUNCIL MEETING" at Post 9914 Highland. ALL Oakland Post Commanders should attend or have a designated representative. All Oakland County Post Members are invited to attend to learn. Post 9914 is located at 3200 North Duck Lake Road in Highland 48356.
-- Tim Wirkus Volunteer Southfield Veterans' Commission firstname.lastname@example.org www.southfieldvets.org
Wednesday, August 5, 2015
Please see the corrected team member job posting for a Shipping and Receiving Material Handler position. There is one available position. This is an external posting.
Important information about this position:
- Location: Lansing (Airport Warehouse)
- Full-time hours of 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Must possess or have the ability to obtain a forklift license
- Starting wage: $8.15/hour with an increase to $8.50/hour once forklift license is obtained
To be considered for these positions, a typed cover letter and resume should be submitted to (email@example.com) by the closing date of Monday, August 17, 2015.
Please see the job description for further details.
Alex Crabill, MPA- Eligibility and Intake Specialist
Peckham, Inc. | 3510 Capital City Blvd, Lansing, MI 48906-2102
The Motown East Zone has openings for 1 part time warehouse position in our Sterling Heights facility. The online applicant system will be turned on at 9:00 AM Friday, August 7, 2015 and will close once we have 15 applicants. All applicants must apply on line at www.fritolayemployment.com. Advise your client group to enter zip code 48313 to access available positions, following the prompts. Individuals who wish to request a reasonable accommodation will find a link, as well as a phone number on the fritolayemployment website. Further information, job descriptions and process are detailed on the website. If you have any questions, please contact Josh Kase at 586-276-4108.
Zone Sales Admin
Frito-Lay Motown East Zone