#Veteran Events & Announcements 5/7 to 5/21
You can get a monthly view of events by going to:
You can also find many other veteran events & information for Veterans on the State of MI Veterans website & Detroit Public Televisions' new Veterans website:
"Buddy-2-Buddy Job Fairs" See attached for a complete listing of the B2B job fairs in Michigan for the month of May.
"Founding of the Vietnam Veterans of America (VVA)" A film documentary about the founding of the VVA is being finished up and will soon be released on a DVD. Cost of the DVD will be $15 each, less if ordered in quanties. A trailer for the movie can be seen at their official website. For pre-release ordering see flyer.
"Friday, May 8, 2015" Neighborhood Legal Services of Michigan is presenting assistance to homeless veterans on child support, expungements, tickets, etc., from 9AM till Noon at the VA Hospital in Detroit. You must make a reservation by calling 313-576-1000, ext 65537. See flyer for more info.
"Friday, May 8, 2015" The Michigan WWII Legacy Memorial Command is hosting a memorial service at Memorial Park, 13 Mile & Woodward, starting at 4:30PM to celebrate the 70th anniversary of VE day. The highlight will be a flyover by Yankee Lady, a B-17 from the Yankee Air Museum. Gates open at 4:30. For a timetable of all events visit their website.
"Friday, May 8, 2015" The International Armed Forces Council is holding its 56th annual International Armed Forces Night Dining-Out at the American Polish Cultural Center, 2975 E Maple, Troy, starting at 6:30PM. Guest speaker this year is Major General Gwendolyn Bingham. For more info visit their website or see attached flyer.
"Saturday, May 9, 2015" Camp Liberty is holding a major tree planting and habitat project day on Saturday, May 9th at Camp Liberty starting from 9:00am to 5:00pm. (More on Camp Liberty can be found at the bottom of this release.) The address for the GPS is 13400 Austin Road, Brooklyn, MI on the north side of Austin Road. Lunch will be provided for volunteers. Please bring gloves, shovels, and wear your work boots and clothes. For more information please contact Rick Briggs at (810) 908-1901 or email@example.com.
"Saturday, May 9, 2015" American Legion Fort Dearborn Post 364 is hosting their annual Brian Smith Memorial Fundraiser at their post, 3001 S Telegraph, Dearborn, starting at 5PM, ending at 9PM. They will be having a Live Veteran Auction, a drag-queen bingo, dinner, wine tasting, etc. For lots more information call them at 313-562-9090 or see attached flyer.
"Tuesday, May 12, 2015" The City of Southfield Human Services Department, along with Training & Treatment Innovations, are hosting on the first Tuesday of each month, 1PM till 3PM, coordination & assistance to veterans & their families who are homeless or at risk of being homeless. You do not need to be a Southfield resident to get assistance. For assistance contact the city at 248-796-4546 or see flyer.
"Wednesday, May 13, 2015" Meridian Health Services & Oakland County Community Mental Health, are hosting a Veterans & Substance Use Disorders seminar at the Oakland County Resource & Crisis Center, 1200 N Telegraph. Bldg 32 East, Pontiac, from 6:30PM till 8PM. For more information call 248-599-8999 or see flyer.
"Friday & Saturday, May 15 & 16, 2015" Registration is currently open for the 6th Annual Charity Fishing Tournament for Michigan Veterans. In 2015 the fleet includes 63 Captains and their boats, and will deliver another memorable experience for 300 Michigan Veterans. Those who receive "boarding priority" are WWII and Korean War Vets, Purple Heart recipients, veterans disabled, POWs, and then any Veteran of any branch of service. In addition to the Big Lake boat fishing, the Pier/Shore Divisions include opportunities for Veterans to fish from land. Interested parties can learn more and register at www.tightlinesfortroops.com There is no cost to veterans for the event; though transportation and lodging would be the responsibility of the attendee.
"Saturday, May 16, 2015" The Michigan DAV is hosting its 1st annual Golf Outing at Golden Hawk Golf Club, 6861 Meisner Lane, Casco Twp, with a 10AM shotgun start. 18 holes of golf, lunch, dinner buffet, prizes, etc. Cost is $79 per golfer. See entry form for more info.
"Saturday, May 16, 2015" The Detroit Wolverine Chapter 67 of the Women's Army Corps of Veterans Association is holding its 73rd anniversary luncheon with the theme of "A Military Blast of the Past, Present, & Future." The lunch will be held at the Karas House, 23632 Plymouth Rd, Redford, starting at Noon and lasting till 4. Guest speaker is Major General Gwendolyn Bingham from TACOM. For more information and tickets call Barbara at 248-358-0432 or see flyer.
"Saturday, May 16, 2015" Oakland County Parks, adaptive recreation, is hosting learning wheelchair LaCrosse at Canfiled Alkali Arena in Dearborn Hgts, from 9AM till 3PM. Learn the basics of Lacrosse: chair mobility, stick skills, general information, drills and scrimmage. Equipment provided. Deadline to register is May 1. Download the registration form here. Sponsored by Oakland County Parks in cooperation with the City of Novi, Paralyzed Veterans of America Sports, Paralympic Sport Oakland County and Paralyzed Veterans of America Michigan. Canfield Alkali Arena, 2100 Kinlock Road in Dearborn Heights. For more information see their website.
"Saturday, May 16, 2015" WC LAX Inc is presenting the Romeo Bulldogs vs the Cousino Patriots LaCross Game at Cousino High School, Romeo, starting at 5PM. Admission is just $3 for students & veterans, $5 for all others, kids under 6 free. All proceeds will benefit the Wounded Warrior Project. For more info see flyer.
"Saturday, May 16, 2015" The Northville Mustangs HS Baseball Team is proudly hosting the 6th annual Armed Forces Day at their school with festivities starting at 11AM. There will be the traveling Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall, military vehicles, booths, etc. They will also be accepting donations for the Metro Airport Freedom Center, which has had over 145,000 people pass thru its doors in the past 3-1/2 years. See flyer for more information & what items they need donated.
"Sunday, May 17, 2015" The City of Birmingham Hometown Parade Committee is working on this years' parade in downtown Birmingham, and they are looking for veterans and group to join in, which will start at 1PM. For more information see attached letter.
"Sunday, May 17, 2015" American Legion Fort Dearborn Post 364 is hosting its 12th annual Bobby V Golf Outing at the Dearborn Hills Golf Course, 1300 S Telegraph, Dearborn, with a 10AM shotgun start, followed by a dinner at 3PM. All proceeds benefit Am Legion Baseball. For entry form and more information see attached flyer.
"Wednesday, May 20, 2015" The Ann Arbor VA Hospital is hosting its 5th annual Walk & Roll 2K walk to benefit the veteran homeless community. The walk will start at the Community Living Center Garden at the hospital, 2215 Fuller Rd, Ann Arbor, at 11AM. A listing of items needed to help the homeless can be found on the attached flyer along with other information, or call Kim at 734-845-3045.
"Wednesday thru Monday, May 20 thru 25, 2015" The Wall that Heals will be in Clinton Township Civic Center for six days. A number of events are planned. Volunteers are needed to help guard the wall. For complete information see the offical website.And from our friends at the VFW:
- May 7th, Thursday 6:15 p.m. – VFW 4156 White Lake – "BINGO". VFW 4156 is located at 321 Union Lake Road in White Lake 48386. Phone 248-698-8302.
- May 7th, Thursday 6:00 p.m. – Old Settlers VFW 4659 Shelby Twp. – "EUCHRE". Doors open at 6:00 p.m. Play starts at 7:00 p.m. Hamburgers, Hot Dogs, Coney Dogs, French Fries and Chili available. Post 4659 is located at 8311 Wilson in Shelby Twp. 48316. Phone (586) 781-9109.
- May 8th, Friday – "BUDDY POPPY DAY". ALL Posts should be distributing Buddy Poppies for their Post Relief Fund.8. May 8th, Friday 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. – VFW 1669 Royal Oak – "BURGER & FRIES for $5.50". Happy Hour from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. OPEN TO THE PUBLIC! Tell your Family & Friends. Post 1669 is located at 214 E. 4th Street in Downtown Royal Oak, just 2 blocks East of Main Street. Phone (248) 541-9846.
- May 8th, Friday 5:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. – VFW 1370 Pontiac – "Burger's- $4 w/ fries $5, Devil Dog- $3 w/ fries $4; bacon wrapped "Koegel" hot dog, beans, fresco cheese, and all the fixings including devil sauce, VFW 1370 is located at 791 Mae Court in Pontiac 48340. Phone (248) 858-9501.10. May 8th, Friday 9:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m. – VFW 1669 Royal Oak – "KARAOKE IN THE CLUBROOM". Post 1669 is located at 214 E. 4th Street in Downtown Royal Oak, just 2 blocks East of Main Street. Phone (248) 541-9846.
- May 9th, Saturday – "BUDDY POPPY DAY". ALL Posts should be distributing Buddy Poppies for their Post Relief Fund.12. May 10th, Sunday – "HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY".13. May 10th, Sunday - "ACIVITIES & HOSPITAL REPORTS DUE AT DEPARTMENT OF MICHIGAN V.F.W. in LANSING "either" ELECTRONICALLY or by U.S. MAIL".
- May 10th, Mother's Day Sunday 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. - VFW 7573 New Baltimore – "MOTHER'S DAY BRUNCH". Includes Eggs and Omelets to Order, Scrambled Eggs, French Toast, Homemade Gravy, Biscuits, Bacon, Sausage, and Potatoes. $10 per person. $6 for Kids between 4 & 10 years. Great Mother's Day Brunch! OPEN TO THE PUBLIC! Invite your Family & Friends. Post 7573 is located at 35011 23 Mile Road in New Baltimore. Phone (586) 725-7100.
- May 10th, Sunday 6:15 p.m. – VFW 4156 White Lake – "BINGO". VFW 4156 is located at 321 Union Lake Road in White Lake 48386. Phone 248-698-8302.
-- Tim Wirkus Volunteer Southfield Veterans' Commission firstname.lastname@example.org www.southfieldvets.org