#Veteran Events & Announcements 5/14 to 5/21 2015
You can get a monthly view of events by going to:
You can also find many other veteran events & information for Veterans on the State of MI Veterans website & Detroit Public Televisions' new Veterans website:
"Buddy-2-Buddy Job Fairs" See attached for a complete listing of the B2B job fairs in Michigan for the month of May.
"Founding of the Vietnam Veterans of America (VVA)" A film documentary about the founding of the VVA is being finished up and will soon be released on a DVD. Cost of the DVD will be $15 each, less if ordered in quanties. A trailer for the movie can be seen at their official website. For pre-release ordering see flyer.
"Friday & Saturday, May 15 & 16, 2015" Registration is currently open for the 6th Annual Charity Fishing Tournament for Michigan Veterans. In 2015 the fleet includes 63 Captains and their boats, and will deliver another memorable experience for 300 Michigan Veterans. Those who receive "boarding priority" are WWII and Korean War Vets, Purple Heart recipients, veterans disabled, POWs, and then any Veteran of any branch of service. In addition to the Big Lake boat fishing, the Pier/Shore Divisions include opportunities for Veterans to fish from land. Interested parties can learn more and register at www.tightlinesfortroops.com There is no cost to veterans for the event; though transportation and lodging would be the responsibility of the attendee.
"Saturday, May 16, 2015" The Detroit Wolverine Chapter 67 of the Women's Army Corps of Veterans Association is holding its 73rd anniversary luncheon with the theme of "A Military Blast of the Past, Present, & Future." The lunch will be held at the Karas House, 23632 Plymouth Rd, Redford, starting at Noon and lasting till 4. Guest speaker is Major General Gwendolyn Bingham from TACOM. For more information and tickets call Barbara at 248-358-0432 or see flyer.
"Saturday, May 16, 2015" Oakland County Parks, adaptive recreation, is hosting learning wheelchair LaCrosse at Canfiled Alkali Arena in Dearborn Hgts, from 9AM till 3PM. Learn the basics of Lacrosse: chair mobility, stick skills, general information, drills and scrimmage. Equipment provided. Deadline to register is May 1. Download the registration form here. Sponsored by Oakland County Parks in cooperation with the City of Novi, Paralyzed Veterans of America Sports, Paralympic Sport Oakland County and Paralyzed Veterans of America Michigan. Canfield Alkali Arena, 2100 Kinlock Road in Dearborn Heights. For more information see their website.
"Saturday, May 16, 2015" WC LAX Inc is presenting the Romeo Bulldogs vs the Cousino Patriots LaCross Game at Cousino High School, Romeo, starting at 5PM. Admission is just $3 for students & veterans, $5 for all others, kids under 6 free. All proceeds will benefit the Wounded Warrior Project. For more info see flyer.
"Saturday, May 16, 2015" The Northville Mustangs HS Baseball Team is proudly hosting the 6th annual Armed Forces Day at their school with festivities starting at 11AM. There will be the traveling Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall, military vehicles, booths, etc. They will also be accepting donations for the Metro Airport Freedom Center, which has had over 145,000 people pass thru its doors in the past 3-1/2 years. See flyer for more information & what items they need donated.
"Sunday, May 17, 2015" The City of Birmingham Hometown Parade Committee is working on this years' parade in downtown Birmingham, and they are looking for veterans and group to join in, which will start at 1PM. For more information see attached letter.
"Sunday, May 17, 2015" American Legion Fort Dearborn Post 364 is hosting its 12th annual Bobby V Golf Outing at the Dearborn Hills Golf Course, 1300 S Telegraph, Dearborn, with a 10AM shotgun start, followed by a dinner at 3PM. All proceeds benefit Am Legion Baseball. For entry form and more information see attached flyer.
"Tuesday, May 19, 2015 (NEW)" The Detroit City Council Military & Veterans Affairs Task Force is inviting all for the reading of the proclamation of Detroit as a "Purple Heart City." This event will be held at Detroit City Hall, 2 Woodward, Detroit, starting at 8AM in the Henderson Auditorium on the 13th floor. For more information call 313-224-1245 or see flyer.
"Wednesday, May 20, 2015" The Ann Arbor VA Hospital is hosting its 5th annual Walk & Roll 2K walk to benefit the veteran homeless community. The walk will start at the Community Living Center Garden at the hospital, 2215 Fuller Rd, Ann Arbor, at 11AM. A listing of items needed to help the homeless can be found on the attached flyer along with other information, or call Kim at 734-845-3045.
"Wednesday, May 20, 2015 (NEW)" The Detroit VA Hospital is hosting its 5th annual Walk & Roll 2K walk to benefit the veteran homeless community. The walk will start at the Yellow Flag pole at the hospital, 4646 John R, Detroit, at 11AM. A listing of items needed to help the homeless can be found on the attached flyer along with other information.
"Wednesday thru Monday, May 20 thru 25, 2015 (UPDATE)" The Wall that Heals will be in Clinton Township Civic Center for six days. A number of events are planned. Volunteers are needed to help guard the wall. For complete information see the official website. Updated info: Pat Daniels is looking for riders to escort the wall to city hall. For more info call Pat at 586-246-0876 of see flyer.
"Thursday, May 21, 2015 (NEW)" Oakland Community College Student Veterans Association (SVA) is hosting a fund raiser Volleyball Game and is looking for players. Admission to the game will be free. The game will take place at VFW 1370, 800 Cesar Chavez Dr, Pontiac, starting at 5PM. See flyer on how to get your team in and for other information.And from our friends at the VFW:
- May 14th, Thursday 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. – VFW 2645 Southfield – "CLASSIC CAR SHOW". Come see the Classic Cars from the 50's & 60's. Light refreshments will be available for purchase. This is OPEN TO THE PUBLIC, so invite your Family & Friends. VFW 2645 is located at 24222 W. Nine Mile Road in Southfield 48033.
- May 14th, Thursday 6:15 p.m. – VFW 4156 White Lake – "BINGO". VFW 4156 is located at 321 Union Lake Road in White Lake 48386. Pho.ne 248-698-8302.
- May 14th, Thursday 6:00 p.m. – Old Settlers VFW 4659 Shelby Twp. – "EUCHRE". Doors open at 6:00 p.m. Play starts at 7:00 p.m. Hamburgers, Hot Dogs, Coney Dogs, French Fries and Chili available. Post 4659 is located at 8311 Wilson in Shelby Twp. 48316. Phone (586) 781-9109.
- May 15th, Friday 5:00 to 7:30 p.m. – VFW 7573 New Baltimore – "STEAK OUT". Includes New York Strip Steak, Baked Potato, Baked Beans, Salad, Rolls and Dessert for $12 per person. This is "OPEN TO THE PUBLIC", so invite your Family & Friends. Post 7573 is located at 35011 23 Mile Road in New Baltimore.
- May 15th, Friday 8:30 p.m. – VFW 2269 Wixom – "COMEDY SHOW". Zach Denlinger, Jeff Thibodeau, Greg Shur, Matt M. Jennings, Chris Bulter, and Jane as aka CC Dynamite will do funny comedic puppet acts. Special guest comedian James Draper Rock Island, Illinois. Only $8 when you reserve ahead of time by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org, or $10 at the door. Post 2269 is located at 2652 Loon Lake Road in Wixom 48393. Phone (248) 624-9742.
- May 15th, Friday 5:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. – VFW 1370 Pontiac – "Burger's- $4 w/ fries $5, Devil Dog- $3 w/ fries $4; bacon wrapped "Koegel" hot dog, beans, fresco cheese, and all the fixings including devil sauce, VFW 1370 is located at 791 Mae Court in Pontiac 48340. Phone (248) 858-9501.11. May 15th, Friday 9:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m. – VFW 1669 Royal Oak – "KARAOKE IN THE CLUBROOM". Post 1669 is located at 214 E. 4th Street in Downtown Royal Oak, just 2 blocks East of Main Street. Phone (248) 541-9846.
-- Tim Wirkus Volunteer Southfield Veterans' Commission email@example.com www.southfieldvets.org