#Veterans Events & Announcements 2/5 to 2/12
You can get a monthly view of events by going to:
You can also find many other veteran events & information for Veterans on the State of MI Veterans website & Detroit Public Televisions' new Veterans website:
"Attention Riders!" The MI Freedom Center at the Delta Terminal at Metro, and the center at the Troy MEPS, has served over 137,000 veterans, dependants, new enlistees, & retirees since opening in 2011. We would request when working on your 2015 ride calendar don't forget Northville High School on May 16th (Armed Forces Day). Meet in the parking lot at 10AM so that a grand entrance can be made of all the riders attending! This event will help provide funds for the Freedom Center so they can continue serving veterans passing thru Metro. For more information contact Chuck at 586-362-5560. Hope to see you there!
"Women Marines Need Your Help!" The Women Marines Association Motor City Chapter is working to not only send our troops a card but to break the Guinness World Record for the most cards sent from a single location. To do this we need to collect at least 3000 cards. Participation is easy. Simply write out a card thanking our troops for their service, put it into a stamped envelope and add your return address. We will add the addressee. You can bring the card(s) to the Romeo Masonic Temple "Gray's Block Romeo Village Opera House on Feb 7 and on Feb 14th. On Feb 14th we will start the stamp cancellations and attempt to break the record. The Romeo Post Office will be on hand at the Temple to hand cancel each and every card with a special cancellation that says "From Romeo with Love" The Post Office will also have on hand cards and stamps for purchase on both the 7th and 14th at the Romeo Masonic Temple. Schools, churches and businesses are invited to participate. If you are unable to attend you can box up your collected cards and either drop off at Romeo Post Office or mail them in a separate envelope to WMA Motor City, PO Box 590, Romeo, MI 48065
"Saturday, February 7, 2015 (UPDATE)" The Detroit VA John Dingell Hospital is hosting an OEF/OIF/OND Welcome Home Event & Hiring Fair at the hospital, 4646 John R, Detroit, from 8:30AM till 1PM. Over 75 employers will be present, plus there will be free medical exams, benefit info, etc. For more info call Mike at 734-222-7135 or see flyer. New info: Here are a few pieces of essential information for our volunteers: · Time: Workshops begin at 8:30A in Auditorium; Hiring Fair begins at 10A in Atrium; patient Registration and Medical Exams begin at 8A at designated clinics · Location: Detroit VA Medical Center at 4646 John R Street, Detroit, MI 48201 · Parking: If you are a VA Medical Center employee, please use the red parking structure. All other volunteers, please use the blue parking structure. · Volunteer Schedule: 2 shifts 7A – 11:00A and 10:30A – 2:30P o Morning volunteers should plan to arrive between 7:00 - 7:30 a.m. - assist with set-up, decorating, registration for job seekers and employers, escorting participants to workshops. o Afternoon volunteers should arrive no later than 10:30 a.m. - assist with checking-in job seekers and employers, directing participants, collecting surveys and breakdown. o If you have not identified your volunteer shift, please contact Jolene Delgado at 313-756-1000, ext. 63332. · Volunteer & Employer Sign-in: Voluntary Service, first office on left as you enter the hospital from the Blue Parking garage
"Saturday, February 7, 2015" The Student Veterans at Wayne State are hosting a Winter Extravaganza Bowling day at Garden Bowl at the Majestic Theatre, 4120 Woodward, Detroit, from 12 to 4PM. 5 person teams, 3 games, $25 per person. Pizza & drinks provided along with a cash bar. Register at wsusvo.org. For more information contact them at email@example.com or see flyer.
"Saturday, February 7, 2015 (NEW)" Fraser VFW Post 6691 is hosting a Cancer Steak Out & Dance at their post, 17075 Anita, Fraser, from 6 till 9PM. Dinner, dancing, drinks, raffles, and more, and come dressed in your Mardi Gras best, all for $20. For tickets call Stacy at 586-216-9995. See flyer for more info.
"Sunday, February 8, 2015" The Michigan Military Technical & Historical Society is hosting "Revisiting Rosie the Riveter" as part of its Arsenal of Democracy. The guess speaker is Professor Charles Hyde. Starts at 2PM at the museum, located at 16600 Stephens, Eastpointe. Admission is by donation. See flyer for more info.
"Saturday, February 14, 2015" Fort Dearborn Am Legion Post 364 is hosting a Valentine Dance starting at 7PM and running till very late! Cash bar and flowers for the ladies. The post is located on Telegraph in Dearborn. See flyer for more information.And from our frien
- February 5th, Thursday 6:15 p.m. – VFW 4156 White Lake – "BINGO". VFW 4156 is located at 321 Union Lake Road in White Lake 48386. Phone 248-698-8302.
- February 5th, Thursday 6:00 p.m. – Old Settlers VFW 4659 Shelby Twp. – "EUCHRE". Doors open at 6:00 p.m. Play starts at 7:00 p.m. Hamburgers, Hot Dogs, Coney Dogs, French Fries and Chili available. Post 4659 is located at 8311 Wilson in Shelby Twp. 48316. Phone (586) 781-9109.
- February 6th, Friday 3:00 p.m. to Midnight – VFW 9507 Madison Heights – "Burger & Fries for $5.50". Karaoke from 9 p.m. to Midnight. $.75 for 12 oz. Draft Beer. $1.75 for 22 oz. Draft Beer. VFW 9507 is located at 630 E. 11 Mile Road in Madison Heights 48071. Phone (248) 543-2557.
- February 6th, Friday 5:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. – VFW 1370 Pontiac – "Burger's- $4 w/ fries $5, Devil Dog- $3 w/ fries $4; bacon wrapped "Koegel" hot dog, beans, fresco cheese, and all the fixings including devil sauce, VFW 1370 is located at 791 Mae Court in Pontiac 48340. Phone (248) 858-9501.9. February 6th, Friday 9:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m. – VFW 1669 Royal Oak – "KARAOKE IN THE CLUBROOM". Post 1669 is located at 214 E. 4th Street in Downtown Royal Oak, just 2 blocks East of Main Street. Phone (248) 541-9846.10. February 8th, Sunday 10:00 a.m. – "DISTRICT 5 MEETING at Post 2269 Wixom". ALL Post Commanders should attend. ALL Posts must be represented at ALL District Meetings. Make arrangements. ALL Post Members are always encouraged to attend District 5 Meetings to learn. Post 2269 Wixom is located at 2652 Loon Lake Road in Wixom 48393.
- February 8th, Sunday 6:15 p.m. – VFW 4156 White Lake – "BINGO". VFW 4156 is located at 321 Union Lake Road in White Lake 48386. Phone 248-698-8302.12. February 8th, Sunday 7:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. – VFW 1669 Royal Oak – "KARAOKE IN THE CLUBROOM". Post 1669 is located at 214 E. 4th Street in Downtown Royal Oak, just 2 blocks East of Main Street. Phone (248) 541-9846.
-- Tim Wirkus Volunteer Southfield Veterans' Commission firstname.lastname@example.org www.southfieldvets.org