#Veteran Events & Announcements 1/29 to 2/5
You can get a monthly view of events by going to:
You can also find many other veteran events & information for Veterans on the State of MI Veterans website & Detroit Public Televisions' new Veterans website:
"Attention Riders!" The MI Freedom Center at the Delta Terminal at Metro, and the center at the Troy MEPS, has served over 137,000 veterans, dependants, new enlistees, & retirees since opening in 2011. We would request when working on your 2015 ride calendar don't forget Northville High School on May 16th (Armed Forces Day). Meet in the parking lot at 10AM so that a grand entrance can be made of all the riders attending! This event will help provide funds for the Freedom Center so they can continue serving veterans passing thru Metro. For more information contact Chuck at 586-362-5560. Hope to see you there!
"Women Marines Need Your Help!" The Women Marines Association Motor City Chapter is working to not only send our troops a card but to break the Guinness World Record for the most cards sent from a single location. To do this we need to collect at least 3000 cards. Participation is easy. Simply write out a card thanking our troops for their service, put it into a stamped envelope and add your return address. We will add the addressee. You can bring the card(s) to the Romeo Masonic Temple "Gray's Block Romeo Village Opera House on Feb 7 and on Feb 14th. On Feb 14th we will start the stamp cancellations and attempt to break the record. The Romeo Post Office will be on hand at the Temple to hand cancel each and every card with a special cancellation that says "From Romeo with Love" The Post Office will also have on hand cards and stamps for purchase on both the 7th and 14th at the Romeo Masonic Temple. Schools, churches and businesses are invited to participate. If you are unable to attend you can box up your collected cards and either drop off at Romeo Post Office or mail them in a separate envelope to WMA Motor City, PO Box 590, Romeo, MI 48065
"Thursday, January 29, 2015" The Madison Hgts VFW, Post 9507, is hosting a Veterans Town Hall from 7 to 9PM at their post, 630 E 11Mile, Madison Hgts. The MI Department of Military & Veterans Affairs will be on hand to answer your questions. For more info call Sean at 248-850-8350 or see flyer.
"Friday, January 30, 2015 (UPDATE)" The U of M - Ann Arbor Student Veteran Association (SVA) is holding it's 6th annual Benefit Dinner the Washtenaw County Veterans Treatment Court. The keynote speaker will be Rep John Dingell. For more info see attached flyer. The event will be held at the University of Michigan Union Ballroom, 530 S State St, Ann Arbor. Tickets range from $30 to $150. To check ticket prices and to purchase see their offical link.
"Friday, January 30, 2015" The Ann Arbor VA Hospital, and the Plymouth Whalers, are inviting all veterans to attend a pregame celebration and free tickets to their game (first 250 requesting) starting at 5PM at the Compuware Arena, 14900 N Beck Rd, Plymouth. See flyer on where to call or email for tickets by January 16th.
"Wednesday, February 4, 2015" The Yankee Air Museum Historic Presentation Night Welcomes Melissa Pung, Washtenaw County Community Development, on a presentation onWillow Run Airport and the Bomber Plant. This is a free event to the public starting at 7PM in the general purpose room of the Museum, located at Willow Run Airport.
"Wednesday, February 4, 2015" The Women Supporting Women Veterans group is having a fund raiser at Tony Saccos's, 10051 E Highland Ave, Howell, all day. 20% of all items will be credited to the group to help support women vets. You must bring the attached flyer!
"Saturday, February 7, 2015"The Detroit VA John Dingell Hospital is hosting an OEF/OIF/OND Welcome Home Event & Hiring Fair at the hospital, 4646 John R, Detroit, from 8:30AM till 1PM. Over 75 employers will be present, plus there will be free medical exams, benefit info, etc. For more info call Mike at 734-222-7135 or see flyer.
"Saturday, February 7, 2015"The Student Veterans at Wayne State are hosting a Winter Extravaganza Bowling day at Garden Bowl at the Majestic Theater, 4120 Woodward, Detroit, from 12 to 4PM. 5 person teams, 3 games, $25 per person. Pizza & drinks provided along with a cash bar. Register at wsusvo.org. For more information contact them at email@example.com or see flyer.
"Sunday, February 8, 2015 (NEW)" The Michigan Military Technical & Historical Society is hosting "Revisiting Rosie the Riveter" as part of its Arsenal of Democracy. The guess speaker is Professor Charles Hyde. Starts at 2PM at the museum, located at 16600 Stephens, Eastpointe. Admission is by donation. See flyer for more info.And from our friends at the VFW:
- January 29th, Thursday 2 p.m. to 6:45 p.m. – VFW 6691 Fraser – "BLOOD DRIVE". Call Red Cross for Appointment at 1-800-RED-CROSS. One Pint of Blood can save (3) three lives. It takes only an hour and cookies and juice are a bonus treat. Post 6691 is located at 17075 Anita in Fraser 48026.
- January 29th, Thursday 7 p.m. – VFW 9507 Madison Heights – "TOWN HALL MEETING". The Michigan Department of VA will be at this meeting. Post 9507 is located at 630 E. 11 Mile Road in Madison Heights 48071. Phone (248) 543-2557.
- January 29th, Thursday 6:15 p.m. – VFW 4156 White Lake – "BINGO". VFW 4156 is located at 321 Union Lake Road in White Lake 48386. Phone 248-698-8302.
- January 29th, Thursday 6:00 p.m. – Old Settlers VFW 4659 Shelby Twp. – "EUCHRE". Doors open at 6:00 p.m. Play starts at 7:00 p.m. Hamburgers, Hot Dogs, Coney Dogs, French Fries and Chili available. Post 4659 is located at 8311 Wilson in Shelby Twp. 48316. Phone (586) 781-9109.
- January 30th, Friday 4:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. – VFW 6802 Richmond – "ALL YOU CAN EAT FISH FRY". NEW LOW PRICE! Adults are $10. Children 5-12 $5. Children 4 and Under Free. Carry Outs available. OPEN TO THE PUBLIC! VFW 6802 is located at 34339 32 Mile Road in Richmond 48062. Phone (586) 727-1436.
- January 30th, Friday 3:00 p.m. to Midnight – VFW 9507 Madison Heights – "Burger & Fries for $5.50". Karaoke from 9 p.m. to Midnight. $.75 for 12 oz. Draft Beer. $1.75 for 22 oz. Draft Beer. VFW 9507 is located at 630 E. 11 Mile Road in Madison Heights 48071. Phone (248) 543-2557.
- January 30th, Friday 5:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. – VFW 1370 Pontiac – "Burger's- $4 w/ fries $5, Devil Dog- $3 w/ fries $4; bacon wrapped "Koegel" hot dog, beans, fresco cheese, and all the fixings including devil sauce, VFW 1370 is located at 791 Mae Court in Pontiac 48340. Phone (248) 858-9501.
-- Tim Wirkus Volunteer Southfield Veterans' Commission firstname.lastname@example.org www.southfieldvets.org