Veteran Events & Announcements 11/6 to 11/13
You can get a monthly view of events by going to:
You can also find many other veteran events on the State of MI Veterans website & Detroit Public Televisions' new Veterans website:
HAPPY VETERANS DAY
"Friday, November 7, 2014" Neighborhood Legal Services of Michigan and the Detroit Dingell VA Hospital are holding a free veteran legal clinic on child support, expungements, tickets, etc., in the hospital, 4646 John R, Detroit, room B1290, from 9AM till Noon. Limited to 15 veterans so reserve your seat by calling 313-576-1000, ext 65537. See flyer for more infomation.
"Friday & Saturday, November 7 & 8, 2014 (UPDATED AGAIN!)" The Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency will be hosting their 2014 Veterans Expo, part of the No Wrong Door Campaign, at Cobo Hall in Detroit. For more information and to register as a vendor see attached form. On the 8th there will be a Flag Raising ceremony at Hart Plaza, the first in 14 years, at 3:30PM. See flyer for details. Also, at the Expo you can drop off toys to the Marines Toys-4-Tots program!
"Saturday, November 8, 2014 (SAVE THE DATE)" The annual Detroit Veterans Day Parade will march down Woodward starting at 11AM! To join the parade, sponsor, or just more information, see their website or the new flyer.
"Saturday, November 8, 2014 (SAVE THE DATE)" The Yankee Air Museum annual gala, at Willow Run, from 5:30 to 10PM, with guest speaker Joanna Doolittle, granddaughter of Gen Doolittle. Please refer to their web site to purchase tickets. Also of note . . . vegetarian meals are available upon request by calling the office.
"Saturday, November 8, 2014" The Michigan Warriors Hockey Program is playing a game against a local men's team, and we would like to try and get as many people possible in the stands for our boys! The game is Saturday, November 8th at 6:45-8:05pm . Location is the John Lindell Ice Arena, 1403 Lexington Blvd. Royal Oak, MI 48073. Call President Josh Krajewski 313-461-3211 with any questions. No charge, however we do take in person donations, or through our fundraising website https://www.crowdrise.com/michiganwarriorhockey/fundraiser/jamestighe 100% of donations go to the program, no site fees.
"Sunday, November 9, 2014" The Detroit Pistons Basketball team is having their first Hoops for Troops day, honoring all veterans at the Palace. There will be special recognition, veteran of the year award, etc. The game is at 6PM with special pricing for veterans. For complete information and ticket order form see attached flyer.
"Sunday, November 9, 2014 (UPDATE)" The Student Veterans of America at the U of M Ann Arbor will be participating in a Wheelchair Basketball game to support paralyzed veterans. This event will be at the Crisler Center starting at 6:30PM before the regular U of M Basketball game. If you would like to participate contact Ben at the U of M or see attached flyer.
"Monday, November 10, 2014" The Detroit VA Healthcare System is hosting a Veterans Service Organization Open House from 9am-2pm in the Multi-purpose Room at the hospital. The Open House will provide Veterans an opportunity to connect with organizations who provide services to Veterans and their families. We also invite you to attend our Veterans Day Recognition Ceremony scheduled for 11am that morning in our medical center Atrium. Please reply with confirmation and your needs for space (i.e. tables and chairs) to Bill via email. The hospital is located at 4646 John R in Detroit.
"Tuesday, November 11, 2014 (Veteran's Day Activities)"
- Stahl's Automobile Museum is opening its doors all day free to veterans and their families, from 10AM till 6PM. See over 100 vintage vehicles, enjoy music, see other historical items. The museum is located at 56516 North Bay Road, Chesterfield. See flyer for more information.
- The Royal Oak Memorial Society is hosting a Veteran's Day celebration stating at 11AM, 11 Mile Road & Troy between City Hall and the Library. For more information see flyer.
- Concordia University, 4090 Geddes Rd, Ann Arbor, is having a Veteran's Day celebration stating at 9AM. For more information see flyer.
- The Detroit Historic Civil War Society will host the 30th Annual Veterans Day Observance ceremony at the Historic Elmwood Cemetery beginning promptly at 10:00 a.m. The 102nd U.S.C.T. will be honored in Section "S" with a flyover by the Tuskegee Airmen Gliders Club.
- On Veterans Day,, from 11-11:30 am, there will be a Veterans Day Wreath Laying Ceremony at Shain Park in downtown Birmingham. It is sponsored by the Piety Hill Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution and the City of Birmingham. All are welcome.
- The Detroit Zoo is opening its doors to all veterans & their families for a free day at the Zoo, starting at 10AM, in Royal Oak.
"Thursday, November 13, 2014" Women Supporting Women in the Military and our Veterans is hosting a hat & scarf auction along with a fine dinner at the Howell Elk's Club, 2830 E Grand River, Howell, from 5:30 to 9PM. Cost is $10 for vets, $20 for non-vets. For complete info and to order tickets see flyer.
"Friday, November 14, 2014" Comcast is looking to hire a number of Veterans in the Metro Detroit area for a number of positions. They will be holding a job fair at 41112 Concept Dr, Plymouth, from 9AM to 11AM or from 1PM to 3PM. See what they are looking for on the attached flyer.
"Friday, November 14, 2014" Michigan Paralyzed Veterans of American will be holding their 11th annual Veterans Gala at the Suburban Showcase Collection, 46100 Grand River, Novi, starting at 6PM. This year the guest speaker will be Nick Koulchar, Army Veteran & Athlete. To order your tickets for this great event visit this link. For more information see flyer.
"Saturday, November 15, 2014" The Wayne State University Athletic Department is offering free tickets, and free parking, to all veterans to watch the Wayne State football game starting at 10AM at their field, located the Tom Adams field in Midtown Detroit. For complete information on how to get tickets see attached letter from Wayne State.
"Saturday, November 15, 2014" The AUSA Arsenal of Democracy Chapter & Women in Defense-Michigan, are hosting a dinner gala for the Fallen & Wounded Soldiers fund, a fund that supports many veterans here in the metro area. The event will be held at the DC3S, 7205 Sterling Ponds Ct, Sterling Hgs, from 6 to 9PM. Tickets are $100. For more information or tickets see flyer.
"Saturday, November 15, 2014 (NEW)" The Michigan Chapter of the Women Marines Association is hosting their annual Holiday Troop Support Packing party at the Romeo Masonic Temple, 231 N Main, Romeo, from 10AM till 2:30PM. Help by suppling any of a number of items (see flyer) or come help box. These packages are shipped all over the world to our troops, many in harms way.
"Saturday, November 15, 2014 (NEW)" The Michigan Military Technical & Historical Society will present The Nuremberg Trials Secretary. One of the secretaries from these trials will be on hand to discuss these events, at the Museum, located at 16600 Stephens, Eastpointe, starting at 2PM. Admission by donation. See flyer.
"Thursday, November 20, 2014" The University of Detroit-Mercy School of Law is offering a free legal clinic at SS Peter & Paul Church, 438 St Antoine, Detroit, from 9 to 11AM. Today's help will focus on Social Security Disability Benefits. To register call Alesa at the Law School at 313-596-0258. See flyer for other upcoming clinics.
"Thursday, November 20, 2014 (NEW)" The Judson Center is sponsoring a free veteran family day for small children at the Jungle Java, 44595 Enterprise Drive, Clinton Twp, from 4 to 7PM. Free admission & dinner, but you must register in advance. See flyer for details.And from our friends at the VFW:
- November 7th, Friday 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. – "JOB EXPO at COBO CENTER in DETROIT. Employment Counseling, Hiring our Heroes employment fair, health screening, Consultations with accredited benefit counselors, Enrollment in State and Federal Veteran Benefits programs, Educational offerings, Recreational Benefits and Community Resources. Cobo Center is located at Jefferson & Washington Avenues in Detroit.8. November 7th, Friday 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. – VFW 1669 Royal Oak – "BURGER & FRIES for $5.50". Happy Hour from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. OPEN TO THE PUBLIC! Tell your Family & Friends. Post 1669 is located at 214 E. 4th Street in Downtown Royal Oak, just 2 blocks East of Main Street. Phone (248) 541-9846.
- November 7th, Friday - VFW 2645 Southfield - 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. "FRIDAY FISH FRY". COD Fish Dinner $8, CATFISH or PERCH Dinner $7.50, CHICKEN FINGER Dinner $7.50, JUMBO SHRIMP Dinner $9, WING DINGS & FRIES $7, COMBO Dinners $9.50, SANDWICHES $5, POUND CAKE per slice $1.50. Sides include French-Fries, Cole Slaw, Spaghetti, and Macaroni & Cheese. Extra Sides $1.50. Extra Fish $2.50. Dine In or Take Out. Call Ahead for Quicker Service (248) 350-3529. Come out, bring your Friends, and Enjoy a Great Meal. OPEN TO THE PUBLIC! Parking in rear of Post. Post 2645 is located at 24222 W. 9 Mile Road, just West of Telegraph in Southfield.
- November 7th, Friday 3:00 p.m. to Midnight – VFW 9507 Madison Heights – "Burger & Fries for $5.50". Karaoke from 9 p.m. to Midnight. $.75 for 12 oz. Draft Beer. $1.75 for 22 oz. Draft Beer. VFW 9507 is located at 630 E. 11 Mile Road in Madison Heights 48071. Phone (248) 543-2557.
- November 7th, Friday 5:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. – VFW 1370 Pontiac – "Burger's- $4 w/ fries $5, Devil Dog- $3 w/ fries $4; bacon wrapped "Koegel" hot dog, beans, fresco cheese, and all the fixings including devil sauce, VFW 1370 1st Annual Boot camp Burrito Challenge." VFW 1370 is located at 791 Mae Court in Pontiac 48340. Phone (248) 858-9501.12. November 7th, Friday 8:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. – VFW 1146 St. Clair Shores – "KARAOKE IN THE CLUBROOM". No Cover Charge! Bruce Post 1146 is located at 28404 Jefferson (N. of 11 Mile Road) in St. Clair Shores.
- November 7th, Friday 9:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m. – VFW 9507 Madison Heights. KARAOKE IN THE CLUBROOM!" No Cover Charge! VFW 9507 Madison Heights is located at 630 E. 11 Mile Road in Madison Heights 48071.
- November 8th, Saturday 11:00 a.m. – "9th ANNUAL DETROIT VETERAN'S DAY PARADE". Recognizing the 50th Anniversary of the Vietnam War. Line up at 10:30 a.m. at Vietnam Veterans Chapter 9 located at 2951 Woodward in Detroit.
- November 8th, Saturday 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. – "JOB EXPO at COBO CENTER in DETROIT. Employment Counseling, Hiring our Heroes employment fair, health screening, Consultations with accredited benefit counselors, Enrollment in State and Federal Veteran Benefits programs, Educational offerings, Recreational Benefits and Community Resources. Cobo Center is located at Jefferson & Washington Avenues in Detroit.
- November 8th, Saturday 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. – VFW 9507 Madison Heights – "ALL YOU CAN EAT SPAGHETTI DINNER". Includes Spaghetti, Tossed Salad, Bread and Dessert for $8! Sponsored by the Ladies Auxiliary. Post 9507 is located at 630 E. 11 Mile Road in Madison Heights 48071.
- November 9th, Sunday 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. – VFW 7573 New Baltimore – "MARINE CORP BIRTHDAY PARTY". Cake, Food and Happy Hour Prices. Post 7573 is located at 35011 23 Mile Road in New Baltimore.
- November 9th, Sunday 6:15 p.m. – VFW 4156 White Lake – "BINGO". OPEN TO THE PUBLIC! VFW 4156 is located at 321 Union Lake Road in White Lake 48386. Phone 248-698-8302.
-- Tim Wirkus Volunteer Southfield Veterans' Commission firstname.lastname@example.org www.southfieldvets.org