Veteran Events & Announcements 9/18 to 9/25
You can get a monthly view of events by going to:
"Golf, Golf, & more Golf" The golf outing are starting to fade away, so here are the few that are left. To help you duffers pick the ones you like I am listing them here. Date, group hosting & where the golf takes place:
- "Saturday, September 20, 2014" Pontiac VFW in Oakland Charter Twp. Flyer.
- "Saturday, September 27, 2014" Women Supporting Women Veterans in Hartland. Flyer.
- "Sunday, September 28, 2014" Wayne County VCAT in Redford. Flyer.
"Korean War Peace Medal" The Korean government is issuing to all veterans that served in the Korean War, both on land and sea, a peace medal. You must have served between 6/25/50 and 7/27/53. See attached for complete information and forms.
"Thursday, September 18, 2014" American Indian Veterans of Michigan is hosting a Steak Dinner Fundraiser at their HQ from 5 till 10PM, 26641 Lawrence, Center Line. Admission is $15 and includes steak, potato, salad, etc. Call Chris at 248-210-6153 or see flyer for more information.
"Friday, September 19, 2014" The St Clair & Lapeer Counties of Veteran Affairs, along with other veteran partners, are hosting an "Operaton Veteran Job Readiness" program to assist veterans in seeking employment.. Learn new skills in job searches, etc. Hosted at Baker College of Port Huron, 3403 Lapeer Rd, Port Huron Twp, from 8:30 to 3PM. For more information call 734-747-2746 or see flyer.
"Friday, September 19, 2014 (UPDATE)" The official POW/MIA Recognition Day. More items and events to follow. There a=will be an official ceremony at the Oakland Hills Memorial Gardens, 12 Mile & Novi Rds, starting at 6:30PM. For more information see flyer.
"Saturday, September 20, 2014" MILITARY RETIREE APPRECIATION DAY, Selfridge ANG Base. The Ft McCoy Lower Michigan Retiree Affairs Council is hosting the 2014 Retiree Appreciation Day at the Joint Dining Facility, Selfridge Air National Guard Base, Michigan. All Uniformed Military Services retirees (including reserve "Gray Area" retirees within a couple years of full retirement), their spouses, widows and widowers are cordially welcome to attend. Conference subjects include pension, TRICARE Medical and Dental benefits, pending legislation, National Cemeteries, and VA activities. For more information call (586) 239-5580, toll free (800)645-9416 x239-5580, email firstname.lastname@example.org or view our website: http://www.detroitarsenalfmwr.com/community/rso.htm_. The registration form and tentative agenda may be downloaded from the website.
"Saturday, September 20, 2014" Highland VFW Post 9914 is hosting the 2nd annual War Dog Memorial Benefit with an Italian dinner from 5 to 8PM at their post, 3200 N Duck Lake Rd, Highland. All proceeds will go to the Michigan War Dog Memorial for continued maintenance and restoration of the site at 11 Mile & Milford Roads. For more info call 248-887-9914 or see flyer.
"Saturday, September 20, 2014" Pontiac VFW Post 1370 is hosting its 2nd annual Golf Outing at the Myth, 850 Stoney Creek Rd, Oakland Charter Twp, with a 7:30AM registration. For more information call 248-858-9501 or see attached flyer.
"Saturday, September 20, 2014 (NEW)" Melvindale Legion Post 472 is hosting a Spaghetti Dinner from 2 till 7PM at their post, 17011 Raupp Rd, Melvindale. Cost is $10 which will include a pasta dinner, salad & roll. See flyer for more information.
"Saturday, September 20, 2014" The Great Lakes National Cemetery, along with the MI Vietnam Veterans of America & Vietnam Veterans of America Chapter 175, are hosting a POW/MIA ceremony at the cemetery, starting at 1PM. Guest speaker is Larry Marx, 11th AF in WWII. The cemetery is located at 4200 Belford Rd, Holly. For more information see flyer.
"Sunday, September 21, 2014" The UAW Region 1 Veterans Council is hosting its 1st annual Veteran Car Show at their HQ, 27800 George Merrelli Dr, Warren, from 11AM to 4PM. For more information, to enter your car for judging, etc., see attached flyer.
"Sunday, September 21, 2014" Southfield VFW Post 2645 is hosting its first Interactive Mystery Dinner Theater at 5PM, located at 24222 W 9 Mile, Southfield. Cost is $25 per person which will include the show and a dinner of Swiss steak, or baked herb cod, and the fixings. Call 248-356-9423 for more information of see attached flyer.
"Monday, September 22, 2014 (NEW)" Vietnam Veterans of America, Chapter 154, is hosting a dinner fund raiser at the Villa Italian, 21311 Gratiot, Eastpointe, from 4 till 9PM. 20% of all proceeds go to the chapter, but you must have the attached flyer so they can receive the credit.
"Monday, September 22, 2014" The Ann Arbor VA Hospital is hosting a Veterans Town Hall meeting at their facility, 2215 Fuller, Ann Arbor, from 1:30PM to 3:30PM. Meet the staff, ask your questions, get answers. See flyer for more information.
"Friday, September 26, 2014" University of Detroit-Mercy School of Law (Project Salute), the VA Hospital, & the Macomb Community College, are hosting a Veterans Stand Down at the Macomb Sports & Expo Center, 14500 E 12 Mile, Warren, from 9AM ti 2PM. Numerous support services will be available for veterans, and will include lunch. For more info see attached flyer.And from our friends at the VFW:
- September 18th, Thursday 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. – VFW 2645 Southfield – "THURSDAY CAR CRUISES". Food, Fun and Music. 50/50 Raffles. Featuring a Little Bit of Classic Cars. For more information, contact J. Sutton at (313) 207-6689. Post 2645 is located 24222 W. 9 Mile Road in Southfield. Just West of Telegraph Road.
- September 18th, Thursday 6:15 p.m. – VFW 4156 White Lake – "BINGO". VFW 4156 is located at 321 Union Lake Road in White Lake 48386. Phone 248-698-8302.
- September 18th, Thursday 6:00 p.m. – Old Settlers VFW 4659 Shelby Twp. – "EUCHRE". Doors open at 6:00 p.m. Play starts at 7:00 p.m. Hamburgers, Hot Dogs, Coney Dogs, French Fries and Chili available. Post 4659 is located at 8311 Wilson in Shelby Twp. 48316. Phone (586) 781-9109.
- September 19th, Friday 5:30 p.m. – "POW/MIA CEREMONY at Oakland Hill Cemetery located at 12 Mile & Novi Road.
- September 19th, Friday 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. – VFW 7573 New Baltimore – "POW/MIA RECOGNITION STEAK OUT". Grill a delicious New York Strip Steak. Includes baked potato, baked beans, salad, roll & butter and dessert for Just $12.00. Post 7573 is located at 35011 23 Mile Road in New Baltimore. Phone 586-725-7100.
- September 19th, Friday - VFW 2645 Southfield - 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. "FRIDAY FISH FRY". COD Fish Dinner $8, CATFISH or PERCH Dinner $7.50, CHICKEN FINGER Dinner $7.50, JUMBO SHRIMP Dinner $9, WING DINGS & FRIES $7, COMBO Dinners $9.50, SANDWICHES $5, POUND CAKE per slice $1.50. Sides include French-Fries, Cole Slaw, Spaghetti, and Macaroni & Cheese. Extra Sides $1.50. Extra Fish $2.50. Dine In or Take Out. Call Ahead for Quicker Service (248) 350-3529. Come out, bring your Friends, and Enjoy a Great Meal. OPEN TO THE PUBLIC! Parking in rear of Post. Post 2645 is located at 24222 W. 9 Mile Road, just West of Telegraph in Southfield.
- September 19th, Friday 3:00 p.m. to Midnight – VFW 9507 Madison Heights – "Burger & Fries for $5.50". Karaoke from 9 p.m. to Midnight. $.75 for 12 oz. Draft Beer. $1.75 for 22 oz. Draft Beer. VFW 9507 is located at 630 E. 11 Mile Road in Madison Heights 48071. Phone (248) 543-2557.
- September 19th, Friday 5:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. – VFW 1370 Pontiac – "Burger's- $4 w/ fries $5, Devil Dog- $3 w/ fries $4; bacon wrapped "Koegel" hot dog, beans, fresco cheese, and all the fixings including devil sauce, VFW 1370 is located at 791 Mae Court in Pontiac 48340. Phone (248) 858-9501.
- September 21st, Sunday 5:00 p.m. – VFW 2645 Southfield – "INTERACTIVE MYSTERY DINNER THEATRE". Tickets are $25 each. Ticket entry includes your choice of a Swiss Steak or Baked Lemon Herb Cod Dinner, served with red skin potatoes, honey glazed carrots, Caesar salad, rolls, coffee, punch, ice tea, cash bar, and all the excitement of partaking in a fun interactive theatre performance to find out "who done it". Dress to impress! Doors open at 5:00 p.m. and dinner will be served at 5:30 p.m. in which you can enjoy the company of good friends and family. 6:30 p.m., the lights dim and the mystery begin. For more information or to place a reservation, please call Joe at (248) 356-9423 or Al at (248) 327-4889 and reserve your tickets today.
- September 21st, Sunday 6:15 p.m. – VFW 4156 White Lake – "BINGO". VFW 4156 is located at 321 Union Lake Road in White Lake 48386. Phone 248-698-8302.
-- Tim Wirkus Volunteer Southfield Veterans' Commission email@example.com www.southfieldvets.org