Vet Events & Announcements 8/7 to 8/14
You can get a monthly view of events by going to:
"Golf, Golf, & more Golf" It's that time of year when everyone is hosting a golf outing. Removed 2 old ones and just added 3 new ones! To help you duffers pick the ones you like I am listing them here. Date, group hosting & where the golf takes place:
- "Friday, August 8, 2014" Marine Corps League at Selfridge. Flyer
- "Saturday, August 16, 2014" Garden City AM Legion in Dearborn Hgts. Flyer
- "Sunday, August 17, 2014" MI Women Marine Association at Selfridge. Flyer
- "Monday, August 18, 2014" Fallen & Wounded Soldiers Fund in South Lyon. Flyer.
- "Monday, August 18, 2014 (NEW)" Pontiac Vet Center in White Lake. Flyer.
- "Friday, August 22, 2014 (NEW)" Veterans Assistance Team in Midland. Flyer.
- "Thursday, September 11, 2014" Fallen & Wounded Soldiers Fund in South Lyon. Flyer.
- "Saturday, September 13, 2014 (NEW)" MI DAV in Casco Twp. Flyer.
- "Sunday, September 14, 2014 " Macomb Homeless Coalition in Macomb. Flyer.
- "Saturday, September 20, 2014 " Pontiac VFW in Oakland Charter Twp. Flyer.
"Shrine Circus" An invitation has been extended to veterans and their family members to attend the Fifth Third Bank Michigan State Fair Charity Preview, which will take place at the Suburban Collection Showplace, 46100 Grand River Avenue, Novi, MI 48374 on: Thursday, August 28, 2014, from 4:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. (http://michiganstatefairllc.com/about-us/vip-reception-charity-preview-night/) The Charity Preview is one way they will honor the dedication of veterans, military members, and their immediate family members, and in one small way recognize their commitment and service to the United States of America. As a guest, will enjoy a sneak peek of the State Fair, along with free unlimited Midway rides, and a special performance by the Detroit Shrine Circus. At registration, children will receive a ticket to redeem one hot dog, one bag of chips, and one soda. Other attractions and select food vendors will be available to attendees at a charge. Any attending guests who would like to join in the fun and play games will be at a fee. To attend this exclusive event, please send the names of the veteran(s), along with the names of their immediate family members by August 18, 204 to Shelby Collins, scollins@SuburbanShowplace.com. Military identification will be required for the veteran(s) and/or military member(s) at the Preview. For more information on the Fifth Third Bank Michigan State Fair, please visit www.michiganstatefairllc.com.
"Friday, August 8, 2014" The John Dingell VA Hospital & Neighborhood Legal Services are assisting homeless veterans on removing barriers to housing, child support issues, tickets, etc. This will take place at the Dingell Hospital, 4646 John R, Detroit, Room B1290, from 9AM till Noon. Space is limited. To reserve a space contact the Justice Outreach Program at 313-576-1000, ext 65537. See flyer for more information.
"Friday, August 8, 2014" The Marine Corps League is hosting their 5th annual DAM Good Friends Golf Scramble at the Mulligan Golf Club on Selfridge ANGB. For tickets or to sponsor a team contact SSgt Machado at 586-239-5317 or see attached flyer.
"Saturday, August 9, 2014" Biker Bob's Motown Harley-Davision is hosting the 10th annual Wounded America Run to support wounded troops. Ride will be escorted to the Michigan International Speedway with a 10:30AM checkin, 14100 Telegraph, Taylor. See flyer for more information.
"Saturday & Sunday, August 9 & 10, 2014" The Yankee Air Museum, Willow Run Airport in Belleville, will be hosting the USAF Thunderbirds in their Thunder over Michigan show. Discount tickets are available if ordered by 12/25/13 by visiting their official ticketing website and entering ticket code TOMINSIDER.
"Sunday, August 10, 2014" The MI Veterans Foundation is hosting a free Car Show Fundraiser at Shields Pizza of Southfield, 25101 Telegraph, Southfield, from 10AM till 3 PM. There will be food & entertainment the entire time. For more information contact Sarah at 313-831-5500 or see attached flyer.
"Thursday, August 14, 2014 (NEW)" American Legion District 1 is hosting "A Vets Best Bet," information seminar on benefits, employment, etc., at the Farwell Rec Center, 2711 E Outer Dr, Detroit, from 10AM to 2PM. Find out about your benefits, employment opportunities, etc. For more information call 313-719-9474 or see flyer.And from our friends at the VFW:
- August 8th, Friday 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. – Bruce Post 1146 St. Clair Shores – "CRUISING at the BRUCE". Food & Beverage available. Post 1146 is located at 28404 Jefferson (N. of 11 Mile Road) in St. Clair Shores.
- August 8th, Friday - VFW 2645 Southfield - 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. "FRIDAY FISH FRY". COD Fish Dinner $8, CATFISH or PERCH Dinner $7.50, CHICKEN FINGER Dinner $7.50, JUMBO SHRIMP Dinner $9, WING DINGS & FRIES $7, COMBO Dinners $9.50, SANDWICHES $5, POUND CAKE per slice $1.50. Sides include French-Fries, Cole Slaw, Spaghetti, and Macaroni & Cheese. Extra Sides $1.50. Extra Fish $2.50. Dine In or Take Out. Call Ahead for Quicker Service (248) 350-3529. Come out, bring your Friends, and Enjoy a Great Meal. OPEN TO THE PUBLIC! Parking in rear of Post. Post 2645 is located at 24222 W. 9 Mile Road, just West of Telegraph in Southfield.
- August 8th, Friday 3:00 p.m. to Midnight – VFW 9507 Madison Heights – "Burger & Fries for $5.50". Karaoke from 9 p.m. to Midnight. $.75 for 12 oz. Draft Beer. $1.75 for 22 oz. Draft Beer. VFW 9507 is located at 630 E. 11 Mile Road in Madison Heights 48071. Phone (248) 543-2557.
- August 8th, Friday 5:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. – VFW 1370 Pontiac – "Burger's- $4 w/ fries $5, Devil Dog- $3 w/ fries $4; bacon wrapped "Koegel" hot dog, beans, fresco cheese, and all the fixings including devil sauce, VFW 1370 is located at 791 Mae Court in Pontiac 48340. Phone (248) 858-9501.
- August 8th, Friday 9:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m. – VFW 9507 Madison Heights. KARAOKE IN THE CLUBROOM!" No Cover Charge! VFW 9507 Madison Heights is located at 630 E. 11 Mile Road in Madison Heights 48071.16. August 8th, Friday 8:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. – VFW 1146 St. Clair Shores – "KARAOKE IN THE CLUBROOM". No Cover Charge! Bruce Post 1146 is located at 28404 Jefferson (N. or 11 Mile Road) in St. Clair Shores.17. August 10th, Sunday 9:00 a.m. – "MICHIGAN DAY at V.F.W. NATIONAL HOME for CHILDREN in EATON RAPIDS, MICHIGAN. Bring your COLORS. Bring your Appetite. Bring your Donations of Children's Clothes.18. August 10th, "ACIVITIES & HOSPITAL REPORTS DUE AT DEPARTMENT OF MICHIGAN V.F.W. in LANSING EITHER ELECTRONICALLY or by U.S. MAIL."19. August 10th, Sunday 10:00 a.m. to 3:45 p.m. – Village-Stinson VFW 9021 Warren is hosting a "BLOOD DRIVE". YOU NEED TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT! Post 9021 is located at 32100 Ryan Road in Warren. Just North of 13 Mile Road.20. August 10th, Sunday 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. – "FREE CAR SHOW at SHIELDS PIZZERIA of SOUTHFIELD. Sponsored by Michigan Veterans Foundation. For more information, Contact Tyrone Chatman or Sarah Hanson at 313-831-5500. Shields Pizzeria is located at 25101 Telegraph Road in Southfield 48076. Just North of 10 Mile Road.
- August 10th, Sunday 6:15 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. – VFW 4156 White Lake – "PROGRESSIVE BINGO". OPEN TO THE PUBLIC! VFW 4156 is located at 321 Union Lake Road in White Lake 48386. Phone (248) 698-8302.
-- Tim Wirkus Volunteer Southfield Veterans' Commission email@example.com www.southfieldvets.org