Veteran Events & Announcements 7/3 to 7/10
You can get a monthly view of events by going to:
"Golf, Golf, & more Golf" It's that time of year when everyone is hosting a golf outing. This week I added 1 new one! To help you duffers pick the ones you like I am listing them here. Date, group hosting & where the golf takes place:
- "Monday, July 14, 2014" Selfridge Air Show Group in Chesterfield Twp. Flyer.
- Saturday, July 19, 2014 (NEW)" VVA 154 in Macomb Twp. Flyer.
- "Sunday, July 20, 2014" Vet Treatment Courts in Oxford. Flyer.
- "Saturday, August 2, 2014" Great Lakes National Cemetery in Lepeer. Flyer
- "Saturday, August 2, 2014" Pontiac VVA Chapter 133 at Highland Hills. Flyer.
- "Friday, August 8, 2014" Marine Corps League at Selfridge. Flyer
- "Saturday, August 16, 2014" Garden City AM Legion in Dearborn Hgts. Flyer
- "Sunday, August 17, 2014" MI Women Marine Association at Selfridge. Flyer
- "Monday, August 18, 2014" Fallen & Wounded Soldiers Fund in South Lyon. Flyer.
- "Thursday, September 11, 2014" Fallen & Wounded Soldiers Fund in South Lyon. Flyer.
"Free Legal Services for Vets" Many veterans don't know that they can get a free attorney to help them appeal a veterans benefits claim denial at the Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims. The Veterans Consortium Pro Bono Program (http://www.vetsprobono.org/) is a nonprofit organization that provides free attorneys to any veteran or survivor with a viable case for benefits at the court. For more info you can also contact Ami Neiberger-Miller at ami@steppingstoneLLC.com
"Tiger Baseball Tickets" Active members and Veterans of the military are eligible to purchase half-price box office dynamically priced Upper Box Infield and Upper Reserved tickets to all 2014 Monday-Thursday regular season home games excluding July 8, 9 and August 26, 27 and 28. Tickets must be purchased at the Comerica Park Box Office and a valid military ID or Veteran ID must be presented at time of purchase. Service members may purchase a maximum of four (4) tickets per customer. This offer is based on availability. http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/det/community/saluteheroes.jsp
"Saturday, July 5, 2014" The City of Westland is hosting the 338th Army Band for a free concert at their city hall, 35665 Ford Rd, Westland, starting at 6PM. This is a free event. For more info call 734-716-3432 or see attached flyer.
"Thursday, July 10, 2014" The Montford Point Detachment Marine Corps League is hosting a 4 day trip to Washington DC to visit all the war memorials there. Cost is $299, per person, double occupancy. For more information call 313-587-1206 or see attached flyer.
"Friday, July 11, 2014" Neighborhood Legal Services & the VA Justice department will hold a seminar on Assistance for Homeless Veterans - Removing barriers to housing & on child support, expungements, tickets, etc. This will be held at the John Dingell VA Hospital, Room B1290 (Red Area) from 9AM till Noon. Seating is limited so contact the outreach program at 313-576-1000, ext 65537. See flyer for more information.
"Saturday, July 12, 2014" Suits for Soldiers, that helps make sure new veterans seeking employment are properly dressed, is hosting a bowling fundraiser at Classic Lanes, 2145 Avon Industrial Dr, Rochester, starting at 4PM. For a cost of $20 you get 2 games of bowling, shoes, pizza, & pop. For more info contact Sarah at 248-757-8829 or see flyer.
"Saturday, July 12, 2014" CTK Veterans Ministry is holding its Veterans Summer Hog Roast from 11AM till 4PM at Christ the King Community Church, 1550 W Drahner Rd, Oxford. This is a free event for all veterans and their families. See flyer for more info.
"Saturday, July 12, 2014 (NEW)" The Michigan War Dog Memorial, 11 Mile & Milford Rd, S Lyon, will be conducting a burial for MWD Chyan with full military honors at Noon. MWD Chyan served in Bosnia, Iraq, & Afghanistan.And from our friends at the VFW:
. July 4th, Friday 10:00 a.m. – "1st ANNUAL BELL RINGING CEREMONY" at First Baptist Church of Wixom. Bring your Colors. For further information, contact Pamala Young at (248) 981-4852. First Baptist Church is located at 620 N. Wixom Road in Wixom. Just North of Pontiac Trail and South of Maple Road.6. July 4th, Friday 12 Noon – "BELL RINGING CEREMONY" at Post 7573 New Baltimore. Arrive Early! Ceremony starts at 12 Noon. Please bring a dish to pass. Post 7573 is located at 35011 23 Mile Road in New Baltimore 48047. Phone (586) 725-7100.
- July 4th, Friday 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. – Bruce Post 1146 St. Clair Shores – "CRUISING at the BRUCE". Food & Beverage available. Post 1146 is located at 28404 Jefferson (N. of 11 Mile Road) in St. Clair Shores.
- July 4th, Friday - VFW 2645 Southfield - 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. "FRIDAY FISH FRY CANCELLED".
- July 4th, Friday 3:00 p.m. to Midnight – VFW 9507 Madison Heights – "Burger & Fries for $5.50". Karaoke from 9 p.m. to Midnight. $.75 for 12 oz. Draft Beer. $1.75 for 22 oz. Draft Beer. VFW 9507 is located at 630 E. 11 Mile Road in Madison Heights 48071. Phone (248) 543-2557.
- July 4th, Friday 5:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. – VFW 1370 Pontiac – "Burger's- $4 w/ fries $5, Devil Dog- $3 w/ fries $4; bacon wrapped "Koegel" hot dog, beans, fresco cheese, and all the fixings including devil sauce, VFW 1370 is located at 791 Mae Court in Pontiac 48340. Phone (248) 858-9501.
- July 4th, Friday 9:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m. – VFW 9507 Madison Heights. KARAOKE IN THE CLUBROOM!" No Cover Charge! VFW 9507 Madison Heights is located at 630 E. 11 Mile Road in Madison Heights 48071.12. July 4th, Friday 8:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. – VFW 1146 St. Clair Shores – "KARAOKE IN THE CLUBROOM". No Cover Charge! Bruce Post 1146 is located at 28404 Jefferson (N. or 11 Mile Road) in St. Clair Shores.13. July 6th, Sunday 8:00 a.m. to 12 noon - VFW 7573 New Baltimore – "BIG BREAKFAST". Includes Eggs and Omelets to Order, Scrambled Eggs, French Toast, Homemade Gravy, Biscuits, Bacon, Sausage, and Potatoes. Minimum donation of $4 per person. Children 10 and Under $2. Great Breakfast! Awesome price! Post 7573 is located at 35011 23 Mile Road in New Baltimore. Phone (586) 725-7100.
- July 6th, Sunday 6:15 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. – VFW 4156 White Lake – "PROGRESSIVE BINGO". OPEN TO THE PUBLIC! VFW 4156 is located at 321 Union Lake Road in White Lake 48386. Phone (248) 698-8302.
- July 7th, Monday 6:15 p.m. – Bruce Post 1146 St. Clair Shores – "MONDAY BINGO". Doors Open at 5:00 p.m. Bingo starts at 6:15 p.m. OPEN TO THE PUBLIC! Sponsored by Dad Club #193. BRUCE POST 1146 is located at 28404 Jefferson Avenue in St. Clair Shores. Just North of 11 Mile Road.
-- Tim Wirkus Volunteer Southfield Veterans' Commission firstname.lastname@example.org www.southfieldvets.org