Veteran Events & Announcements 7/10 to 7/17
You can get a monthly view of events by going to:
"Golf, Golf, & more Golf" It's that time of year when everyone is hosting a golf outing. To help you duffers pick the ones you like I am listing them here. Date, group hosting & where the golf takes place:
- "Monday, July 14, 2014" Selfridge Air Show Group in Chesterfield Twp. Flyer.
- "Saturday, July 19, 2014 " VVA 154 in Macomb Twp. Flyer.
- "Sunday, July 20, 2014" Vet Treatment Courts in Oxford. Flyer.
- "Saturday, August 2, 2014" Great Lakes National Cemetery in Lepeer. Flyer
- "Saturday, August 2, 2014" Pontiac VVA Chapter 133 at Highland Hills. Flyer.
- "Friday, August 8, 2014" Marine Corps League at Selfridge. Flyer
- "Saturday, August 16, 2014" Garden City AM Legion in Dearborn Hgts. Flyer
- "Sunday, August 17, 2014" MI Women Marine Association at Selfridge. Flyer
- "Monday, August 18, 2014" Fallen & Wounded Soldiers Fund in South Lyon. Flyer.
- "Thursday, September 11, 2014" Fallen & Wounded Soldiers Fund in South Lyon. Flyer.
"Tiger Baseball Tickets" Active members and Veterans of the military are eligible to purchase half-price box office dynamically priced Upper Box Infield and Upper Reserved tickets to all 2014 Monday-Thursday regular season home games excluding July 8, 9 and August 26, 27 and 28. Tickets must be purchased at the Comerica Park Box Office and a valid military ID or Veteran ID must be presented at time of purchase. Service members may purchase a maximum of four (4) tickets per customer. This offer is based on availability. http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/det/community/saluteheroes.jsp
"Friday, July 11, 2014" Neighborhood Legal Services & the VA Justice department will hold a seminar on Assistance for Homeless Veterans - Removing barriers to housing & on child support, expungements, tickets, etc. This will be held at the John Dingell VA Hospital, Room B1290 (Red Area) from 9AM till Noon. Seating is limited so contact the outreach program at 313-576-1000, ext 65537. See flyer for more information.
"Saturday, July 12, 2014" Suits for Soldiers, that helps make sure new veterans seeking employment are properly dressed, is hosting a bowling fundraiser at Classic Lanes, 2145 Avon Industrial Dr, Rochester, starting at 4PM. For a cost of $20 you get 2 games of bowling, shoes, pizza, & pop. For more info contact Sarah at 248-757-8829 or see flyer.
"Saturday, July 12, 2014" CTK Veterans Ministry is holding its Veterans Summer Hog Roast from 11AM till 4PM at Christ the King Community Church, 1550 W Drahner Rd, Oxford. This is a free event for all veterans and their families. See flyer for more info.
"Saturday, July 12, 2014" The Michigan War Dog Memorial, 11 Mile & Milford Rd, S Lyon, will be conducting a burial for MWD Chyan with full military honors at Noon. MWD Chyan served in Bosnia, Iraq, & Afghanistan.
"Thursday, July 17, 2014" Team River Runner is hosting a wounded veteran fishing event at Tourist Park in Marquette, from 6 to 8PM. Learn how to fish with free instructions & equipment. Contact Sarah at 906-228-5744 for more information or see flyer.
"Friday & Saturday, July 17 & 18, 2014 (NEW)" The Michigan Veterans Foundation is holding its annual homeless veteran Stand Down at their location, 2770 Park, Detroit. They are in need of numerous items to help the homeless veteran population in Detroit. See attached on how you can help and a listing of items needed or call Sarah at 313-831-5500.And from our friends at the VFW:
- July 11th, Friday 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. – Bruce Post 1146 St. Clair Shores – "CRUISING at the BRUCE". Food & Beverage available. Post 1146 is located at 28404 Jefferson (N. of 11 Mile Road) in St. Clair Shores.
- July 11th, Friday - VFW 2645 Southfield - 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. "FRIDAY FISH FRY". COD Fish Dinner $8, CATFISH or PERCH Dinner $7.50, CHICKEN FINGER Dinner $7.50, JUMBO SHRIMP Dinner $9, WING DINGS & FRIES $7, COMBO Dinners $9.50, SANDWICHES $5, POUND CAKE per slice $1.50. Sides include French-Fries, Cole Slaw, Spaghetti, and Macaroni & Cheese. Extra Sides $1.50. Extra Fish $2.50. Dine In or Take Out. Call Ahead for Quicker Service (248) 350-3529. Come out, bring your Friends, and Enjoy a Great Meal. OPEN TO THE PUBLIC! Parking in rear of Post. Post 2645 is located at 24222 W. 9 Mile Road, just West of Telegraph in Southfield.
- July 11th, Friday 3:00 p.m. to Midnight – VFW 9507 Madison Heights – "Burger & Fries for $5.50". Karaoke from 9 p.m. to Midnight. $.75 for 12 oz. Draft Beer. $1.75 for 22 oz. Draft Beer. VFW 9507 is located at 630 E. 11 Mile Road in Madison Heights 48071. Phone (248) 543-2557.
- July 11th, Friday 5:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. – VFW 1370 Pontiac – "Burger's- $4 w/ fries $5, Devil Dog- $3 w/ fries $4; bacon wrapped "Koegel" hot dog, beans, fresco cheese, and all the fixings including devil sauce, VFW 1370 1st Annual Boot camp Burrito Challenge." VFW 1370 is located at 791 Mae Court in Pontiac 48340. Phone (248) 858-9501.10. July 11th, Friday 8:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. – VFW 1146 St. Clair Shores – "KARAOKE IN THE CLUBROOM". No Cover Charge! Bruce Post 1146 is located at 28404 Jefferson (N. of 11 Mile Road) in St. Clair Shores.
- July 11th, Friday 9:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m. – VFW 9507 Madison Heights. KARAOKE IN THE CLUBROOM!" No Cover Charge! VFW 9507 Madison Heights is located at 630 E. 11 Mile Road in Madison Heights 48071.
- July 13th, Sunday 9:00 a.m. – "4th & 5th DISTRICT TRAINING SESSION" at Village-Stinson Post 9021 Warren. ALL ELECTED OFFICERS SHOULD ATTEND AND RECEIVE VALUABLE TRAINING ON THEIR POSITIONS. ALL POST MEMBERS ARE ENCOURAGED TO ATTEND AND LEARN ABOUT THE POST POSITIONS & PROCEDURES. Post 9021 is located at 32100 Ryan Road in Warren 48092. Just North of 13 Mile Road on Ryan.
- July 13th, Sunday 6:15 p.m. – VFW 4156 White Lake – "BINGO". OPEN TO THE PUBLIC! VFW 4156 is located at 321 Union Lake Road in White Lake 48386. Phone 248-698-8302.
-- Tim Wirkus Volunteer Southfield Veterans' Commission firstname.lastname@example.org www.southfieldvets.org