Veteran Events & Announcements 5/8 to 5/15
You can get a monthly view of events by going to:
"Golf, Golf, & more Golf" It's that time of year when everyone is hosting a golf outing. To help you duffers pick the ones you like I am listing them here. Date, group hosting & where the golf takes place:
- "Friday, May 16, 2014" Operation Injured Soldiers in Novi. Flyer.
- "Sunday, May 18, 2014" Dearbrn Legion in Dearborn. Flyer
- "Sunday, May 18, 2014" Richmond VFW in Ray Twp. Flyer
- "Wednesday, June 4, 2014" State VFW in Grand Blanc. Flyer
- "Saturday, August 2, 2014" Great Lakes National Cemetery in Lepeer. Flyer
- "Friday, August 8, 2014" Marine Corps League at Selfridge. Flyer
- "Saturday, August 16, 2014" Garden City AM Legion in Dearborn Hgts. Flyer
- "Sunday, August 17, 2014" MI Women Marine Association at Selfridge. Flyer
"Red Cross Items for Veterans" The SE Michigan Chapter of the American Red Cross has several programs to assist veterans, and their families, with free programs & grants. See the associated flyer for each to get the full details. (1) Certified Nurse Assistant Training. (2) Boots to Business. (3) Emergency Financial Assistance. For questions regarding any of these programs contact Anne at 313-576-4126.
"Friday, May 9, 2014" The International Armed Forces Council will be holding its 55th annual International Armed Forces Night Dining-Out Gala at the Fogolar Furlan Club, 1800 N Service Rd, Windsor, starting at 6:30PM. Guest speaker will be LtC Karen McCrimmon, RCAF Retired. Also commemorating the 90th anniversary of the RCAF. Tickets are $90. See flyer for complete information.
"Friday, May 9, 2014" The DSO is performing "Patriotic Pops" at 8PM downtown with Jeff Tyzik conducting. This is a special VFW event so members and their families may purchase discount tickets, main floor $15, balcony $15 (regular $19 to $58). For tickets or more info contact the box office at 313-576-5111 or see attached flyer.
"Friday, May 9, 2014" General Motors, Southwest Solutions, & The Steven Siller Tunnel to Towers Foundation are hosting a Gala Dinner to benefit Piquette Square at the MGM Casino in Downtown Detroit. Guess speaker is Mark Reuss, Executive VP at GM for global product development, on why it is important to help out veterans. For more information contact Don at 810-333-1314 or see attached flyer.
"Saturday, May 10, 2014" South Oakland Shelter, which provides emergency housing to veterans in Oakland County, is holding their annual Spring Luncheon Boutique Shopping Event at the Birmingham Athletic Club, 4033 W Maple, Birmingham, from 10AM to 3PM. Celebrate the special mom in your life with a lunch and shopping spree. Cost is $50 per person/cash bar. Call 248-809-3773 or see attached for more information.
"Sunday, May 11, 2014" The DSO is performing "Patriotic Pops" at 3PM downtown with Jeff Tyzik conducting. This is a special VFW event so members and their families may purchase discount tickets, main floor $15, balcony $15 (regular $19 to $58). For tickets or more info contact the box office at 313-576-5111 or see attached flyer.
"Wednesday, May 14, 2014" The Jewish Community Job Connection will host a Job Fair open to all at the Jewish Community Center, 15110 W 10 Mile, Oak Park, from 9:30 till Noon. This event is open to all. See attached for more information.
"Thursday, May 15, 2014 (NEW)" Livonia American Legion Post 32, 9318 Newburgh Rd, Livonia, will be hosting a car show at 5PM with dinners, music, door prizes, etc, every Thursday in May. Call 734-427-5630 of see flyer for more info.And from our VFW Friends:
- May 9th, Friday - VFW 2645 Southfield - 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. "FRIDAY FISH FRY". COD Fish Dinner $8, CATFISH or PERCH Dinner $7.50, CHICKEN FINGER Dinner $7.50, JUMBO SHRIMP Dinner $9, WING DINGS & FRIES $7, COMBO Dinners $9.50, SANDWICHES $5, POUND CAKE per slice $1.50. Sides include French-Fries, Cole Slaw, Spaghetti, and Macaroni & Cheese. Extra Sides $1.50. Extra Fish $2.50. Dine In or Take Out. Call Ahead for Quicker Service (248) 350-3529. Come out, bring your Friends, and Enjoy a Great Meal. OPEN TO THE PUBLIC! Parking in rear of Post. Post 2645 is located at 24222 W. 9 Mile Road, just West of Telegraph in Southfield.
- May 9th, Friday 3:00 p.m. to Midnight – VFW 9507 Madison Heights – "Burger & Fries for $5.50". Karaoke from 9 p.m. to Midnight. $.75 for 12 oz. Draft Beer. $1.75 for 22 oz. Draft Beer. VFW 9507 is located at 630 E. 11 Mile Road in Madison Heights 48071. Phone (248) 543-2557.
- May 9th, Friday 5:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. – VFW 1370 Pontiac – "Burger's- $4 w/ fries $5, Devil Dog- $3 w/ fries $4; bacon wrapped "Koegel" hot dog, beans, fresco cheese, and all the fixings including devil sauce, VFW 1370 is located at 791 Mae Court in Pontiac 48340. Phone (248) 858-9501.
- May 9th, Friday 9:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m. – VFW 9507 Madison Heights. KARAOKE IN THE CLUBROOM!" No Cover Charge! VFW 9507 Madison Heights is located at 630 E. 11 Mile Road in Madison Heights 48071.16. May 9th, Friday 8:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. – VFW 1146 St. Clair Shores – "KARAOKE IN THE CLUBROOM". No Cover Charge! Bruce Post 1146 is located at 28404 Jefferson (N. or 11 Mile Road) in St. Clair Shores.17. May 10th, Saturday – ACIVITIES & HOSPITAL REPORTS DUE AT VFW HEADQUARTERS IN LANSING or COMPLETED ELECTRONCIALLY.18. May 11th, Sunday – "HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY"19. May 11th, Sunday 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. – Bruce Post 1146 St. Clair Shores – "Mother's Day Brunch". Omelet Station, Pastries and Much, Much More. $8 at the door. Kids 7 & Under $4. Honor Mom on her Special Day. Bruce Post 1146 is located at 28404 Jefferson (N. or 11 Mile Road) in St. Clair Shores.20. May 11th, Sunday 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. – VFW 7573 New Baltimore – "Mother's Day Brunch". Adults $12. Children $5. Age 3 and Under Eat Free. Post 7573 is located at 35011 23 Mile Road in New Baltimore 48047. Phone (586) 725-7100.
-- Tim Wirkus Volunteer Southfield Veterans' Commission firstname.lastname@example.org www.southfieldvets.org