Veteran Events & Announcements 2/20 to 2/27
You can get a monthly view of events by going to:
"Women Supporting Women Vets" WSWV is hosting an online eBay auction to raise money to erect a Livingston County's Veterans Memorial for female veterans. This is an opportunity to clean your attic of items and help raise money for this group. See attached flyer on how you can contribute items to this event.
"Oakland County Parks Adaptive Recreation" Oakland County Parks is providing golf lessons at several parks in May & June for disabled veterans. See the attached flyer for a complete listing of dates, times, and parks involved.
"New VA Medical Card (Important)" The new VA Medical Card is ready to be reissued. As a reminder the old card you may have has a security privacy violation, and for some of you who may remain to have to old paper card, you need to get a new one, the security violation if you recall is that the current medical card can be seen by an camera with your social security number on it, which violates privacy and the HIPPA The requirements to have this reissued is: (1) have the old card available (2) two sets of picture ID (1) drivers license (2) government ID (3) CPL/CCW license just too mention a few. (Of course today when I went to the Dingell their machine was broken!)
"Friday, February 21, 2014" Neighborhood Legal Services is looking to help Veterans with legal issues that are barriers to housing such as child support arrearages, expungements, and tickets. The next scheduled Legal Clinic is February 21 and March 7, 9:00-Noon. It will be held in Room B1290.This event will be held twice a month. There is a limit of 15 participants. Veterans are asked to register by contacting Nanette at 313-576-1000 ext 65537 or Tracy at 313-576-1000 Ext 64727. You may also email Nanette with veteran name and phone. Please see attached flyer. Please feel free to contact Nanette if you have any questions.
"Saturday, February 22, 2014" The Lyon Township Library, 27005 S Milford Rd, S Lyon, is hosting author Bob Linsenman at 1PM with his book Snowblood's Journal, a story about his time in Vietnam and the dogs that were used to help find the enemy. Phil Weitlauf will also be there to discuss the War Dog Cemetery also located in S Lyon. Admission is free. See flyer for more information.
"Saturday, February 22, 2014" St Clair Shores VFW Post 1146 is hosting a Soup Tasting event at their post, 28404 Jefferson, St Clair Shores, starting at 6PM. Have some soup and vote for the best, then follow up with a salad and desert. Admission is $8 and is all you can eat. See flyer for details.
"Saturday, February 22, 2014" Madison Hgts VFW Post 9507 is hosting a Ladies Aux Winter BBQ, from 4 to 8PM, at their post at 630 E. 11 Mile Road in Madison Hgts. This is an all-you-can-eat event for just $8. See flyer for more information.
"Sunday, February 23, 2014" CTK Veteran Ministry is hosting a Bowl-A-Rama to support the Wounded Warrior Project from 1 to 4PM at Collier Lanes in Oxford. Tickets are $20 which includes 2 games of bowling, shoes, pizza, pop, and more. Contact Bob via email for advance tickets. See flyer for more information.
"Monday, February 24, 2014" 2014 will be a big year for us at Suits for Soldiers and E.P.I.C. We are hosting a fundraiser so that together we can purchase a permanent location where we can help people 7 days a week. Join us on February 24, 2014 at 6:30PM in the luxurious Penthouse Club 300 at The Palace of Auburn Hills as the Detroit Pistons take on the Golden State Warriors. Your ticket price includes access to Club 300, all you can eat food, pop, as well as your beer and wine (21+). Ticket prices are $40 cash or check or $43 PayPal. Tickets must be purchased in advance by January 31, 2014 by visiting: Purchase Tickets We will have raffles, 50/50, BeeOrganic.net and sp orts memorabilia as part of the efforts to raise the money needed to purchase a building.
"Thursday, February 27, 2014 (NEW)" Silent Battles, a faith based group working with our young veterans with PTSD, is hosting a fundraiser at The Lodge, 2812 Orchard Lake Rd, Keego Harbor, all day. 20% of all purchases will be donated to Silent Battles if the attached flyer is used at checkout.And from our friends at the VFW:
- February 21st, Friday 3:00 p.m. to Midnight – VFW 9507 Madison Heights – “Burger & Fries for $5.50”. $.75 for 12 oz. Draft Beer. $1.75 for 22 oz. Draft Beer. Karaoke at 9:00 p.m. VFW 9507 is located at 630 E. 11 Mile Road in Madison Heights 48071. Phone (248) 543-2557.
- February 21st, Friday 4:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m., VFW 6802 Richmond – “ALL YOU CAN FISH FRY for $12”. Includes, Baked Potato or French Fries, Cole Slaw, Roll & Butter, OPEN TO THE PUBLIC! Fruit Salad, Cottage Cheese, Cake and Coffee. All for Just $10. Post 6802 is located at 34339 Division in Richmond. 48062. Phone (586) 727-1436.
- February 21st, Friday 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. – VFW 2645 Southfield. “FRIDAY NIGHT FISH FRY”. COD Fish Dinner for $8, CATFISH or PERCH Dinner for $7.50, CHICKEN FINGER Dinner for $7.50, JUMBO SHRIMP Dinner for $9, WING DINGS & FRIES for $7, COMBO Dinners for $9.50, SANDWICHES for $5 and POUND CAKE per slice at $1.50. Sides include French-Fries, Cole Slaw, Spaghetti, and Macaroni & Cheese. Extra Sides $1.50. Extra Fish $2.50. Beverage is available. Dine In or Take Out. Call Ahead for Quicker Service at (248) 350-3529. Come out, bring your Friends, and Enjoy a Great Meal. OPEN TO THE PUBLIC! Parking in rear of Post. Post 2645 is located at 24222 W. 9 Mile Road, just West of Telegraph in Southfield.
- February 21st, Friday 5:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. – VFW 1370 Pontiac – “Burger’s- $4 w/ fries $5, Devil Dog- $3 w/ fries $4; bacon wrapped “Koegel” hot dog, beans, fresco cheese, and all the fixings including devil sauce, Steak Burrito - $4; steak, rice, bean, pico de gallo, and cheese - 2 pounder! $6, Boot Camp Burrito Challenge - 3 pound version of the regular steak burrito, loaded in devil sauce and extremely spicy. 1 out of 3 contestants have been able to complete the Ghost Chili Burrito challenge so far, the first to do it was a fellow U.S. Marine, Tom LaForge. $12 or free if you complete the challenge within 45 minutes. This is an open challenge, so any member or guest is welcome to try. WARNING: it is extremely spicy. To get a good look at the difficulty feel free to pull it up on YouTube under VFW 1370 1st Annual Boot camp Burrito Challenge.” VFW 1370 is located at 791 Mae Court in Pontiac 48340. Phone (248) 858-9501.
- February 22nd, Saturday 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. – VFW 9507 Madison Heights – “WINTER BARBECUE (Formerly known as the Hoe Down)” – Includes Barbecue Beef, Barbecue Pork, Beans, Potato, Salad, Coleslaw, Pasta Salad and Dessert. ALL YOU CAN EAT for $8.00! Sponsored by Ladies Auxiliary VFW 9507. Post 9507 is located at 630 E. 11 Mile Road in Madison Heights. Phone (248) 543-2557.
- February 22nd, Saturday 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. – VFW 7573 New Baltimore – “POLISH DINNER”. Includes Stuffed Cabbage, Pierogies, Fresh/Smoked Kielbasa, Kraut and Apple Pie for Dessert. $10 in Advance or $11 at the door. Tickets limited to 100. Call (586) 725-7100 to Reserve Tickets. Reserved Tickets must be paid by February 17, 2014. Post 7573 is located at 35011 23 Mile Road in New Baltimore. OPEN TO THE PUBLIC!
- February 22nd, Saturday 6:00 p.m. – Bruce Post 1146 St. Clair Shores – “SOUP TASTING/VOTING”. Soup tasting and Voting will be from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Followed by “All You Can Eat Soup, Salad & Dessert Bar. $8 per person. Door Prizes & 50/50 Drawing. Clubroom will be open for refreshments. Any questions, contact Nancy Gaglio at (586) 757-4883. Bruce Post 1146 is located at 28404 E. Jefferson Avenue in St. Clair Shores.
- February 23rd, Sunday 6:15 p.m. – VFW 4156 White Lake – “BINGO”. VFW 4156 is located at 321 Union Lake Road in White Lake 48386. Phone 248-698-8302. OPEN TO THE PUBLIC!
-- Tim Wirkus Volunteer Southfield Veterans' Commission firstname.lastname@example.org www.southfieldvets.org