Veteran Events & Announcements 1/2 to 1/9
You can get a monthly view of events by going to:
"Oakland County Parks will recycle old Christmas Trees" Oakland County Parks and Recreation offers 11 park locations to make holiday cleanup easy and environmentally friendly by recycling Christmas trees. Dec. 26, 2013 – Jan. 13, 2014, seven days a week. 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. Addison Oaks near Oxford; Catalpa Oaks in Southfield; Glen Oaks Golf Course in Farmington Hills; Groveland Oaks near Holly; Independence Oaks in Clarkston; Lyon Oaks in Lyon Township; Orion Oaks in Orion Township; Red Oaks Golf Course in Madison Heights; Springfield Oaks in Davisburg; Waterford Oaks in Waterford; and White Lake Oaks Golf Course in White Lake. Independence Oaks and Orion Oaks county parks will offer extended Christmas tree recycling dates from Dec. 26, 2013 – Feb. 3, 2014.
"Wednesday, January 8, 2014" The Yankee Air Museum, at Willow Run Airport, is hosting an Historic Presentation Night features Jerry Towler, discussing his experiences as an Army helicopter pilot in Vietnam. Jerry was involved in the Battle for the Ia Drang Valley, the battle portrayed in the movie "We Were Soldiers". Jerry was also in Bob Mason's book "Chickenhawk", with the name of Gary Resler. The Huey on display at the Yankee Air Museum is dedicated to Jerry and is painted up like the aircraft he flew in Vietnam. Event starts at 7:30 and is FREE in the General Purpose Room.
"Saturday, January 18, 2014" Rose Hup - Pup Tent 24, Military Order of the Cootie, is hosting its 48th Annual Cootie Champagne Dance, with doors opening at 5PM, dinner at 6PM, and dancing starting at 7:30PM. Event will be held at Roseville VFW Post 2358, located at 25671 Gratiot, Roseville. Advance tickets are $25. To order tickets call 586-771-0173 or see attached.And from our friends at the VFW:
5. January 2nd, Thursday – VFW 4156 White Lake – "PROGRESSIVE BINGO". OPEN TO THE PUBLIC! VFW 4156 is located at 321 Union Lake Road in White Lake 48386. Phone (248) 698-8302.6. January 2nd, Thursday 6:00 p.m. – Old Settlers VFW 4659 Shelby Twp. – "EUCHRE". Doors open at 6:00 p.m. Play starts at 7:00 p.m. Hamburgers, Hot Dogs, Coney Dogs, French Fries and Chili available. Post 4659 is located at 8311 Wilson in Shelby Twp. 48316. Phone (586) 781-9109.
- January 3rd, Friday 3:00 p.m. to Midnight – VFW 9507 Madison Heights – "Burger & Fries for $5.50". Karaoke from 9 p.m. to Midnight. $.75 for 12 oz. Draft Beer. $1.75 for 22 oz. Draft Beer. VFW 9507 is located at 630 E. 11 Mile Road in Madison Heights 48071. Phone (248) 543-2557.8. January 3rd, Friday 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. – VFW 1669 Royal Oak – "BURGER & FRIES for $5.50". Happy Hour from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. OPEN TO THE PUBLIC! Tell your Family & Friends. Post 1669 is located at 214 E. 4th Street in Downtown Royal Oak, just 2 blocks East of Main Street. Phone (248) 541-9846.
- January 3rd, Friday - VFW 2645 Southfield - 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. "FRIDAY FISH FRY". COD Fish Dinner $8, CATFISH or PERCH Dinner $7.50, CHICKEN FINGER Dinner $7.50, JUMBO SHRIMP Dinner $9, WING DINGS & FRIES $7, COMBO Dinners $9.50, SANDWICHES $5, POUND CAKE per slice $1.50. Sides include French-Fries, Cole Slaw, Spaghetti, and Macaroni & Cheese. Extra Sides $1.50. Extra Fish $2.50. Dine In or Take Out. Call Ahead for Quicker Service (248) 350-3529. Come out, bring your Friends, and Enjoy a Great Meal. OPEN TO THE PUBLIC! Parking in rear of Post. Post 2645 is located at 24222 W. 9 Mile Road, just West of Telegraph in Southfield.
- January 3rd, Friday 5:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. – VFW 1370 Pontiac – "Burger's- $4 w/ fries $5, Devil Dog- $3 w/ fries $4; bacon wrapped "Koegel" hot dog, beans, fresco cheese, and all the fixings including devil sauce, Steak Burrito - $4; steak, rice, bean, pico de gallo, and cheese - 2 pounder! $6, Boot Camp Burrito Challenge - 3 pound version of the regular steak burrito, loaded in devil sauce and extremely spicy. 1 out of 3 contestants have been able to complete the Ghost Chili Burrito challenge so far, the first to do it was a fellow U.S. Marine, Tom LaForge. $12 or free if you complete the challenge within 45 minutes. This is an open challenge, so any member or guest is welcome to try. WARNING: it is extremely spicy. To get a good look at the difficulty feel free to pull it up on YouTube under VFW 1370 1st Annual Boot camp Burrito Challenge." VFW 1370 is located at 791 Mae Court in Pontiac 48340. Phone (248) 858-9501.
- January 3rd, Friday 9:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m. – VFW 9507 Madison Heights. KARAOKE IN THE CLUBROOM!" No Cover Charge! VFW 9507 Madison Heights is located at 630 E. 11 Mile Road in Madison Heights 48071.
- January 3rd, Friday 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. – VFW 2358 Roseville. "Bingo with Linked – Progressive Jackpots". Doors Open at 4:30 p.m. Bingo starts at 6:30 p.m. VFW 2358 is located 25671 Gratiot in Roseville, just ½ block South of Frazho. Phone number is (586) 771-0173. OPEN TO THE PUBLIC!13. January 5th, Sunday 8:00 a.m. to 12 Noon – VFW 7573 New Baltimore – "BIG BREAKFAST" Omelets and Eggs to Order, Scrambled Eggs, French Toast, Homemade Sausage Gravy, Biscuits, Bacon, Sausage and Potatoes. Minimum Donation $4.00 Adults and $2.00 ages 10 and under. This is a great breakfast and you will not go away hungry! OPEN TO THE PUBLIC! Invite your Family & Friends! Post 7573 is located at 35011 23 Mile Road in New Baltimore. Phone (586) 725-7100.
- January 5th, Sunday 1:00 p.m. – "VOICE OF DEMOCRACY, PATRIOT'S PEN & TEACHER OF THE YEAR BANQUET at Post 7573 New Baltimore". Post 7573 is located at 35011 23 Mile Road in New Baltimore 48047. Phone (586) 725-7100.
- January 5th, Sunday 6:15 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. – VFW 4156 White Lake – "PROGRESSIVE BINGO". OPEN TO THE PUBLIC! VFW 4156 is located at 321 Union Lake Road in White Lake 48386. Phone (248) 698-8302.
-- Tim Wirkus Volunteer Southfield Veterans' Commission firstname.lastname@example.org www.southfieldvets.org