You can get a monthly view of events by going to:
"Veteran Job Fairs" The State of Michigan, Workforce Development Agency, Veterans' Service Division, is hosting a number of job fairs around the state in November. See the flyer for exact times and addresses for each, plus items you need to bring.
"Home Front Strong" This is a free 8-week group that will help spouses/partners prepare for, cope with, or rebound from the challenges of a military deployment. This group focuses on promoting resiliency and coping, building social support and positive relationships, learning new approaches to self-care, and connecting to resources. This is open to all OEF/OIF/OND spouses or partners, of National Guard, Reserve, Active Duty service members or veterans, and at any point in the deployment cycle (pre, during, or reintegration). The group includes a meal and a separate children's program. Up to $160 will be offered to participants for group attendance and program research evaluations. See attached flyer for complete information.
Western Wayne County Area Agency on Aging 1C" The Area Agency on Aging 1C, in western Wayne County, is looking for a veteran to sit on their advisory council, to make sure the needs of veterans are met. You must live in Wayne County. If interested see the attached application.
"Thursday, October 17, 2013" Mt Clemens Vietnam Veterans of America Chapter 154 is holding its annual fund raiser at BD's Mongolian Grill, 29004 Gratiot, Roseville, from Noon to 9PM. Bring the attached flyer and the chapter will receive 20% of the bill to use to support veterans.
"Saturday, October 19, 2013" The Michigan War Dog Memorial located on Milford Rd and 11 Mile is requesting volunteers to help reset small flat headstone from 10:00am to 3:00pm. Lunch will be provided. We are pleased to announce the Walmart Corp in New Hudson has stepped up as a sponsor and assigned their landscaping vendor to maintain the mowing and trimming of the cemetery twice a month. Our mission on October 19th is to reset all the flat stone at ground level. If your available to help please bring a shove. Your participation will be greatly appreciated. Phil Weitlauf - President Michigan War Dog Memorial, Inc www.mwdm.org 248-685-8307
"Thursday, October 24, 2013" The Desert Angels are hosting their Miracle Box packing party fund raiser pasta dinner at the Fraternal Order of Police Hall, Lodge 124, 11304 14 Mile, Warren, starting at 5PM. Ticket donations are $20 per person, or $40 per family. Every ticket purchased will send a box of Home to our Troops. There will also be a silent auction, 50/50, etc. For more information see attached flyer.And from our friends at the VFW:
8. October 18th, Friday 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. – Bruce Post 1146 St. Clair Shores – "FISH FRY". Bruce Post 1146 is located at 28404 Jefferson (N. or 11 Mile Road) in St. Clair Shores.9. October 18th, Friday 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. – VFW 1669 Royal Oak – "BURGER & FRIES or ONION RINGS for $5". Your choice of a Burger & Fries or a Burger & Onion Rings for $5. Happy Hour from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. OPEN TO THE PUBLIC! Tell your Family & Friends. Post 1669 is located at 214 E. 4th Street in Downtown Royal Oak, just 2 blocks East of Main Street. Phone (248) 541-9846.10. October 18th, Friday 6:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. - VFW 2645 Southfield - "FRIDAY FISH FRY". Featuring a Little Bit of Class Classic Car Club. Come out and see the 50's & 60's Cruise Cars. COD Fish Dinner $8, CATFISH or PERCH Dinner $7.50, CHICKEN FINGER Dinner $7.50, JUMBO SHRIMP Dinner $9, WING DINGS & FRIES $7, COMBO Dinners $9.50, SANDWICHES $5, POUND CAKE per slice $1.50. Sides include French-Fries, Cole Slaw, Spaghetti, and Macaroni & Cheese. Extra Sides $1.50. Extra Fish $2.50. Dine In or Take Out. Call Ahead for Quicker Service (248) 350-3529. Come out, bring your Friends, and Enjoy a Great Meal. OPEN TO THE PUBLIC! Parking in rear of Post. Post 2645 is located at 24222 W. 9 Mile Road, just West of Telegraph in Southfield.
- October 18th, Friday 5:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. – VFW 1370 Pontiac – "Burger's- $4 w/ fries $5, Devil Dog- $3 w/ fries $4; bacon wrapped "Koegel" hot dog, beans, fresco cheese, and all the fixings including devil sauce, Steak Burrito - $4; steak, rice, bean, pico de gallo, and cheese - 2 pounder! $6, Boot Camp Burrito Challenge - 3 pound version of the regular steak burrito, loaded in devil sauce and extremely spicy. 1 out of 3 contestants have been able to complete the Ghost Chili Burrito challenge so far, the first to do it was a fellow U.S. Marine, Tom LaForge. $12 or free if you complete the challenge within 45 minutes. This is an open challenge, so any member or guest is welcome to try. WARNING: it is extremely spicy. To get a good look at the difficulty feel free to pull it up on YouTube under VFW 1370 1st Annual Boot camp Burrito Challenge." VFW 1370 is located at 791 Mae Court in Pontiac 48340. Phone (248) 858-9501.
- October 18th, Friday 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. – VFW 2358 Roseville. "Bingo with Linked – Progressive Jackpots" Doors Open at 4:30 p.m. Bingo starts at 6:30 p.m. OPEN TO THE PUBLIC! VFW 2358 is located 25671 Gratiot in Roseville, just ½ block South of Frazho. Phone number is (586) 771-0173. OPEN TO THE PUBLIC!
- October 18th, Friday 9:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m. – VFW 9507 Madison Heights. KARAOKE IN THE CLUBROOM!" No Cover Charge! VFW 9507 Madison Heights is located at 630 E. 11 Mile Road in Madison Heights 48071.14. October 18th, Friday 8:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. – VFW 1146 St. Clair Shores – "KARAOKE IN THE CLUBROOM". No Cover Charge! Bruce Post 1146 is located at 28404 Jefferson (N. or 11 Mile Road) in St. Clair Shores.15. October 19th, Saturday 5:30 p.m. – VFW 7573 – "Ladies' 80's & 90's Night Out Cancer Benefit". Starts at 5:30 p.m. and Dinner at 6:30 p.m. Dinner includes Chicken Marsala, Cheesy Potatoes, Spinach & garden salads, rolls, and a variety of Desserts for a minimum donation of $15. Also includes dancing, 50/50 drawing, best costume, biggest hair contest, and many more raffles. There will Vendors on hand for cash and carry items. Please purchase tickets in advance, limited to 80 tickets. Any questions, call Crystal at 586-260-7975 or Robin at 586-339-4784. Post 7573 is located at 35011 23 Mile Road in New Baltimore.16. October 19th, Saturday 7:00 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. – Bruce Post 1146 St. Clair Shores – "SWEETEST DAY SHOW". Featuring Geoff Watz and Tim Murray with Special Guest Lisa King. Tickets are $20 or 2/$35. Contact Tim Litz at 586-713-1519. Snacks Allowed. Doors Open at 6:30 p.m. "OPEN TO THE PUBLIC!" Invite your Family & Friends. Bruce Post 1146 is located at 28404 Jefferson (N. or 11 Mile Road) in St. Clair Shores.
- October 20th, Sunday 6:15 p.m. – VFW 4156 White Lake – "BINGO". OPEN TO THE PUBLIC! VFW 4156 is located at 321 Union Lake Road in White Lake 48386. Phone 248-698-8302.
-- Tim Wirkus Volunteer Southfield Veterans' Commission email@example.com www.southfieldvets.org