Veteran Events & Announcements 12/26 to 1/2/2014
You can get a monthly view of events by going to:
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
"Oakland County Parks will recycle old Christmas Trees" Oakland County Parks and Recreation offers 11 park locations to make holiday cleanup easy and environmentally friendly by recycling Christmas trees. Dec. 26, 2013 – Jan. 13, 2014, seven days a week. 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. Addison Oaks near Oxford; Catalpa Oaks in Southfield; Glen Oaks Golf Course in Farmington Hills; Groveland Oaks near Holly; Independence Oaks in Clarkston; Lyon Oaks in Lyon Township; Orion Oaks in Orion Township; Red Oaks Golf Course in Madison Heights; Springfield Oaks in Davisburg; Waterford Oaks in Waterford; and White Lake Oaks Golf Course in White Lake. Independence Oaks and Orion Oaks county parks will offer extended Christmas tree recycling dates from Dec. 26, 2013 – Feb. 3, 2014.
"Tuesday, December 31, 2013" Southfield VFW Post 2645 is hosting a New Year's Eve Bash, starting at 7PM and running till 2AM at their post, located at 24222 W 9 Mile, Southfield. Advance tickets only at $30 single, $50 couple, which includes music & dancing. Contact Joe at 248-356-9423 or Bonnie at 313-670-5992 for tickets. See attached for more info.
"Wednesday, January 8, 2014 (NEW)" The Yankee Air Museum, at Willow Run Airport, is hosting an Historic Presentation Night featuring Jerry Towler, discussing his experiences as an Army helicopter pilot in Vietnam. Jerry was involved in the Battle for the Ia Drang Valley, the battle portrayed in the movie "We Were Soldiers". Jerry was also in Bob Mason's book "Chickenhawk", with the name of Gary Resler. The Huey on display at the Yankee Air Museum is dedicated to Jerry and is painted up like the aircraft he flew in Vietnam. Event starts at 7:30 and is FREE in the General Purpose Room.And from our friends at the VFW:
- December 27th, Friday 3:00 p.m. to Midnight – VFW 9507 Madison Heights – "Burger & Fries for $5.50". Karaoke from 9 p.m. to Midnight. $.75 for 12 oz. Draft Beer. $1.75 for 22 oz. Draft Beer. VFW 9507 is located at 630 E. 11 Mile Road in Madison Heights 48071. Phone (248) 543-2557.
- December 27th, Friday 5:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. – VFW 1370 Pontiac – "Burger's- $4 w/ fries $5, Devil Dog- $3 w/ fries $4; bacon wrapped "Koegel" hot dog, beans, fresco cheese, and all the fixings including devil sauce, Steak Burrito - $4; steak, rice, bean, pico de gallo, and cheese - 2 pounder! $6, Boot Camp Burrito Challenge - 3 pound version of the regular steak burrito, loaded in devil sauce and extremely spicy. 1 out of 3 contestants have been able to complete the Ghost Chili Burrito challenge so far, the first to do it was a fellow U.S. Marine, Tom LaForge. $12 or free if you complete the challenge within 45 minutes. This is an open challenge, so any member or guest is welcome to try. WARNING: it is extremely spicy. To get a good look at the difficulty feel free to pull it up on YouTube under VFW 1370 1st Annual Boot camp Burrito Challenge." VFW 1370 is located at 791 Mae Court in Pontiac 48340. Phone (248) 858-9501.
- December 27th, Friday 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. – VFW 2358 Roseville. "Bingo with Linked – Progressive Jackpots". Doors Open at 4:30 p.m. Bingo starts at 6:30 p.m. VFW 2358 is located 25671 Gratiot in Roseville, just ½ block South of Frazho. Phone number is (586) 771-0173. OPEN TO THE PUBLIC!
- December 29th, Sunday 6:15 p.m. – VFW 4156 White Lake – "BINGO". VFW 4156 is located at 321 Union Lake Road in White Lake 48386. Phone 248-698-8302.
- December 31st, Tuesday ALL DAY – VFW 9507 Madison Heights – "TACO TUESDAY FOR $1.50". Tacos are $1.50 each All Day Long! 12 oz. Draft Beer for $.75. 22 oz. Draft Beer for $1.75. VFW 9507 is located at 630 E. 11 Mile Road in Madison Heights 48071. Phone (248) 543-2557.
- DECEMBER 31ST, TUESDAY 7:00 P.M. TO 2:00 A.M. – VFW 2645 SOUTHFIELD – "NEW YEAR'S EVE PARTY". Roast Beef Dinner at 7:30 p.m. Hors D'Ooeuvres and Champagne Toast at Midnight. Music and Dancing. 50/50 Raffle. Door Prizes. Tickets are $30 each or $50 per couple. Call Joe at (248) 356-9423 or Bonnie at (313) 670-5992. VFW 2645 is located at 24222 W. 9 Mile Road, just West of Telegraph in Southfield.
- DECEMBER 31ST, TUESDAY 9:00 P.M. TO 1:30 A.M. – BRUCE POST 1146 ST. CLAIR SHORES. "NEW YEAR'S PARTY IN THE CLUBROOM WITH THE "GEEZER" CLASSIC ROCK BAND. BRUCE POST 1146 is located at 28404 Jefferson Avenue in St. Clair Shores. Just North of 11 Mile Road.
-- Tim Wirkus Volunteer Southfield Veterans' Commission email@example.com www.southfieldvets.org