You can get a monthly view of events by going to:
"Strong Military Families" The U of M Ann Arbor Hospital is sponsoring several seminars in Oakland & Macomb Counties for family enrichment for service members, their partners, & their children. Participants receive $90 for their time. See flyer for Oakland County or Macomb County for more information.
"Thursday, March 27, 2014" Patriot Week is hosting an award for Patriot of the Year to Major Carrie Atkinson, at the Oxford Inn, Royal Oak, from 6 to 8PM. See flyer for more info and to order tickets.
"Saturday, March 29, 2014" The American Indian Veterans of Michigan is hosting their annual Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day at their chapter located at 26641 Lawrence, Center Line, starting at 2PM. Mostaccioli, salad, bread, bake sale, movies shown all day, etc. See flyer for more info.
"Saturday, March 29, 2014" Dearborn Legion Post is hosting a Live Veteran Auction. Bid on your favorite vet and corresponding events such as golf, dinner for two, wine tasting, etc. At their post, 3001 S Telegraph, Dearborn, from 5 to 9PM. See flyer for complete details.
"Sunday, March 30, 2014" American Legion Post 404, in Harrison, is hosting a Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans event along with VVA Chapter 1047, starting at 10AM. There will be guest speakers, a free lunch for all, DJ music, and gift certificates from around the Clare County area. See flyer for more information.
"Sunday, March 30, 2014" The Michigan Military Technical & History Museum is having Randy Hotton talk about flying his Navy P-3 Orion over Vietnam. The program starts at 2PM and is by donation, at 16000 Stephens, Eastpointe. See flyer for more information.
"Wednesday, April 2, 2014" The Southfield Veterans Commission (my group) along with the Southfield Library, is hosting the 7th annual Spell Bowl in the library, 26300 Evergreen, Southfield, from 7 to 9PM. Five person team is $40 and the team will receive a listing of all words that might be used. All proceeds go to the commission. See flyer for details.And from our friends at the VFW:
8. March 28th, Friday 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. – Bruce Post 1146 St. Clair Shores – “FISH FRY”. Bruce Post 1146 is located at 28404 Jefferson (N. or 11 Mile Road) in St. Clair Shores.9. March 28th, Friday 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. – Post 4659 Shelby Twp. – “FISH FRY”. Every Friday until Easter, you can get a Fish (cod) Dinner for $8. The Fish (cod) Dinner includes “Sam Adams” beer batter Cod, Cole Slaw and homemade chips for $8. Also, you can get a Shrimp Dinner including Cole Slaw and homemade chips for $7.50. Post 4659 is located at 8311 Wilson Street in Shelby Twp. 48316. Phone (586) 781-9109.
- March 28th, Friday 4:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m., VFW 6802 Richmond – “ALL YOU CAN FISH FRY for $12”. Includes, Baked Potato or French Fries, Cole Slaw, Roll & Butter, OPEN TO THE PUBLIC! Fruit Salad, Cottage Cheese, Cake and Coffee. All for Just $10. Post 6802 is located at 34339 Division in Richmond. 48062. Phone (586) 727-1436.
- March 28th, Friday 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. – VFW 2645 Southfield. “FRIDAY NIGHT FISH FRY”. COD Fish Dinner for $8, CATFISH or PERCH Dinner for $7.50, CHICKEN FINGER Dinner for $7.50, JUMBO SHRIMP Dinner for $9, WING DINGS & FRIES for $7, COMBO Dinners for $9.50, SANDWICHES for $5 and POUND CAKE per slice at $1.50. Sides include French-Fries, Cole Slaw, Spaghetti, and Macaroni & Cheese. Extra Sides $1.50. Extra Fish $2.50. Beverage is available. Dine In or Take Out. Call Ahead for Quicker Service at (248) 350-3529. Come out, bring your Friends, and Enjoy a Great Meal. OPEN TO THE PUBLIC! Parking in rear of Post. Post 2645 is located at 24222 W. 9 Mile Road, just West of Telegraph in Southfield.
- March 28th, Friday 3:00 p.m. to Midnight – VFW 9507 Madison Heights – “Burger & Fries for $5.50”. Karaoke from 9 p.m. to Midnight. $.75 for 12 oz. Draft Beer. $1.75 for 22 oz. Draft Beer. VFW 9507 is located at 630 E. 11 Mile Road in Madison Heights 48071. Phone (248) 543-2557.
- March 28th, Friday 5:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. – VFW 1370 Pontiac – “Burger’s- $4 w/ fries $5, Devil Dog- $3 w/ fries $4; bacon wrapped “Koegel” hot dog, beans, fresco cheese, and all the fixings including devil sauce, Steak Burrito - $4; steak, rice, bean, pico de gallo, and cheese - 2 pounder! $6, Boot Camp Burrito Challenge - 3 pound version of the regular steak burrito, loaded in devil sauce and extremely spicy. 1 out of 3 contestants have been able to complete the Ghost Chili Burrito challenge so far, the first to do it was a fellow U.S. Marine, Tom LaForge. $12 or free if you complete the challenge within 45 minutes. This is an open challenge, so any member or guest is welcome to try. WARNING: it is extremely spicy. To get a good look at the difficulty feel free to pull it up on YouTube under VFW 1370 1st Annual Boot camp Burrito Challenge.” VFW 1370 is located at 791 Mae Court in Pontiac 48340. Phone (248) 858-9501.
- March 29th, Saturday 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m – VFW 1146 St. Clair Shores – “4th ANNUAL WELCOME HOME VIETNAM VETERANS DAY”. Honor the Vietnam Wall Traveling Memorial. Live Patriotic Entertainment. “Guardians of Harmony” Chorus. Bag Pipers. FREE ENTRY! Munchies & More. COME AND WELCOME HOME OUR VIETNAM HEROES! Bruce Post 1146 is located at 28404 Jefferson Avenue in St. Clair Shores. Just North of 11 Mile Road.
- March 30th, Sunday 6:15 p.m. – VFW 4156 White Lake – “BINGO”. VFW 4156 is located at 321 Union Lake Road in White Lake 48386. Phone 248-698-8302.
-- Tim Wirkus Volunteer Southfield Veterans' Commission email@example.com www.southfieldvets.org