You can get a monthly view of events by going to:
"Golf Outings" In the next several weeks there are numerous golf outings that support various veteran causes. If you are a golfer this is your chance to get in a few holes, meet new people, and help a veteran to boot. See regular listing below for more details on each event. Remember, hole-in-one buys!
- "Saturday, September 7, 2013" The GM CCA Veterans Affinity Group is assisting Piquette Square with a Golf Outing at The Jewel in Grand Blanc
- "Sunday, September 22, 2013" Madison Hgts VFW Post 9507 hosting their 1st golf tournament at the Selfridge Golf Course in Harrison Twp.
"Attention OIF/OEF Vets" Wayne State University is looking for Wayne County OIF/OEF vets to participate in research that will assess the barriers veterans face in seeking services, employment, etc. To help with this study contact Ellen at 313-577-0438 or see attached flyer. ALSO FOR OIF/OEF VETS, Phil Abdoo is trying to start a Veterans of Modern Warfare chapter in Macomb County with a first meeting at the Macomb Vet Center on September 18, located at 16945 E 12 Mile, Roseville, at 7PM. See attached for more information.
"Thursday, August 29, 2013" The American Indian Veterans of Michigan will be hosting a Steak Dinner Fundfraiser at their HQ, located at 26641 Lawrence, Center Line, from 5 to 10PM. Admission is $15 and will include steak, baked potato, salad, dessert, soft drink. For more information contact Chris at 248-210-6153 or see attached flyer.
"Thursday, August 29, 2013" The Shrine Circus is returning to the Showcase Collection, 41000 Grand River, in Novi. This day only is Veterans Day and all veterans, and their family members, are admitted free, with free parking and free rides. Please arrive by 6:30PM, runs to 9PM.
"Friday, August 30, 2013" The Folds of Honor Foundation at Treetops Resort, in Gaylord, will be hosting its 3rd annual Patriot Golf Day during the Labor Day weekend. All donations received will support scholarships for spouses and children of the fallen or wounded while serving our country. I will also be given a chance to name a $5000 scholarship in the memory of a fallen brother from my time in Iraq. All donations must be submitted by August 5, 2013. If you can find it in your heart to send a child or spouse of a fallen hero to college, clink on the link below to make a small but important donation. If you cant find the funds, I understand, just click" SHARE" and help me spread the word. Thank you in advance for your time and support.
"Sunday, September 1, 2013" The Royal Oak Arts/Beats/Eats, downtown Royal Oak, is having Veterans Day from 11AM to 11PM, with free tickets to all events, in cooperation with the Oakland County Parks & Rec. You must order your free tickets in advance by visiting their website. Also see attached flyer for more information.And from our friends at the VFW:
- August 30th, Friday 11:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m – "SALUTE to VETERANS" – ARTS, BEATS & EATS. S. MAIN STREET, ROYAL OAK. Stop by ACORN POST 1669 ROYAL OAK, they would love for you to visit them while at the Arts, Beats & Eats Festival over the weekend. They are serving Brats & Hot Dogs during the festival. Post 1669 is located at 214 E. 4th Street in Royal Oak. Just 2 blocks East of Downtown Main Street.
- August 30th, Friday 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. – VFW 2645 Southfield. "FRIDAY NIGHT FISH FRY". COD Fish Dinner for $8, CATFISH or PERCH Dinner for $7.50, CHICKEN FINGER Dinner for $7.50, JUMBO SHRIMP Dinner for $9, WING DINGS & FRIES for $7, COMBO Dinners for $9.50, SANDWICHES for $5 and POUND CAKE per slice at $1.50. Sides include French-Fries, Cole Slaw, Spaghetti, and Macaroni & Cheese. Extra Sides $1.50. Extra Fish $2.50. Beverage is available. Dine In or Take Out. Call Ahead for Quicker Service at (248) 350-3529. Come out, bring your Friends, and Enjoy a Great Meal. OPEN TO THE PUBLIC! Parking in rear of Post. Post 2645 is located at 24222 W. 9 Mile Road, just West of Telegraph in Southfield.
- August 30th, Friday 5:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. – VFW 1370 Pontiac – "Burger's- $4 w/ fries $5, Devil Dog- $3 w/ fries $4; bacon wrapped "Koegel" hot dog, beans, fresco cheese, and all the fixings including devil sauce, Steak Burrito - $4; steak, rice, bean, pico de gallo, and cheese - 2 pounder! $6, Boot Camp Burrito Challenge - 3 pound version of the regular steak burrito, loaded in devil sauce and extremely spicy. 1 out of 3 contestants have been able to complete the Ghost Chili Burrito challenge so far, the first to do it was a fellow U.S. Marine, Tom LaForge. $12 or free if you complete the challenge within 45 minutes. This is an open challenge, so any member or guest is welcome to try. WARNING: it is extremely spicy. To get a good look at the difficulty feel free to pull it up on YouTube under VFW 1370 1st Annual Boot camp Burrito Challenge." VFW 1370 is located at 791 Mae Court in Pontiac 48340. Phone (248) 858-9501.
- August 30th, Friday 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. – VFW 2358 Roseville. "Bingo with Linked – Progressive Jackpots". Doors Open at 4:30 p.m. Bingo starts at 6:30 p.m. VFW 2358 is located 25671 Gratiot in Roseville, just ½ block South of Frazho. Phone number is (586) 771-0173. OPEN TO THE PUBLIC!
- August 30th, Friday 9:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m. – VFW 9507 Madison Heights. KARAOKE IN THE CLUBROOM!" No Cover Charge! VFW 9507 Madison Heights is located at 630 E. 11 Mile Road in Madison Heights 48071.
- August 31st, Saturday – VFW 1669 Royal Oak – Serving Brats & Hot Dogs throughout the Arts, Beats & Eats Festival. Stop in on your way to the festival. Post 1669 is located at 214 E. 4th Street in Royal Oak. Just 2 blocks East of Downtown Main Street.
- August 31st, Saturday 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. – VFW 2052 Romeo – "STEAK OUT & MORE". Steak for $13, Chicken for $8, Burger for $5 and 2 Hot Dogs for $5. Includes Side Dishes and Dessert. OPEN TO THE PUBLIC! Invite your Family & Friends including Children. VFW 2052 is located at 70455 McVicar Road in Romeo. Phone (586) 336-1011.
- September 1st, Sunday – VFW 1669 Royal Oak – Serving Brats & Hot Dogs throughout the Arts, Beats & Eats Festival. Stop in on your way to the festival. Post 1669 is located at 214 E. 4th Street in Royal Oak. Just 2 blocks East of Downtown Main Street.
- September 1st, Sunday 6:15 p.m. – VFW 4156 White Lake – "BINGO". VFW 4156 is located at 321 Union Lake Road in White Lake 48386. Phone 248-698-8302.
- September 2nd, Monday – VFW 1669 Royal Oak – Serving Brats & Hot Dogs throughout the Arts, Beats & Eats Festival. Stop in on your way to the festival. Post 1669 is located at 214 E. 4th Street in Royal Oak. Just 2 blocks East of Downtown Main Street.
-- Tim Wirkus Volunteer Southfield Veterans' Commission email@example.com www.southfieldvets.org